Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,628   Online: 1069

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pyrocat?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    What are the advantages of Pyro developers? And what exactly is a staining developer?

And what is the best Pyro Incarnation to start with first?
    I am using pyrocat-HD which i make myself. This way i can rely on this for ages to come without having to worry about firms going bankrupt...

Advantages.. The point is that I did not find any practical information of pictures on the web which for example shows the difference in a pic developed in pyro and the same in rodinal. That's always the case with photography. Eveybody talks about it, but nowbody shows the results and more important the difference!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One minor irritation is that I hear people referring to a rather generic 'pyro' as a coverall, without specifying which formula; PMK, ABC, Rollo Pyro...

Tom.

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Increasing the strength of the Developer to 2+2+100 will give you the increase in contrast you're after, you'll need to find your own optimum development time. As an example I process most of my films for 15 minutes using Pyrocat HD 1+1+100 at 20°C, but when tray processing use Pyrocat HD at 2+2+100 for 9 minutes at 20°C to get the same contrast.

Ian
    Thanks Ian,
    That's very helpfull information. I wil give it a try.
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want a one solution pyro, 510 pyro fits the bill.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, like all things, it's never fully understood until you try it yourself. I heard enough good things about it that I went ahead and I bought some Pyrocat HC from the Formulary.

Can someone please give me a little more detail about the staining action in staining developers? It sounds like it might be an interesting print developer, too.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like wd2d+ very much. It has the advantage of being just as suitable for silver printing on multigrade papers as for alt process.

For someone new to staining developers, let me admonish you to find out who is doing what with their negs. Some folks who use (and advocate) staining developers actually don't print much via silver gelatin straight from the parent neg... instead preferring to do alt process (Pt/Pd) and/or scanning to digital negs and such. So I'd advise any newcomer to find out how the developer is going to fit into his/her own workflow. When I did this research myself, I settled on wd2d+ as the best choice for me. And indeed I found the stain colour to be quite neutral to multigrade papers, and I also found the hardening property useful.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin