Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,400   Online: 979

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pyrocat?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Pyrocat?

What are the advantages of Pyro developers? And what exactly is a staining developer?

And what is the best Pyro Incarnation to start with first?
    Last edited by EASmithV; 05-26-2009 at 09:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Is it true that Ansel Adams used Pyro devs? What kind were they? An older formula of the above, no doubt?

Pyro can come in a single bath developer right? Does it keep in full bottles as well as D76 stock? Is it re-useable or one shot?

What kind of dilution is 1+1+100? Is it for 2 bath?
    Last edited by EASmithV; 05-26-2009 at 09:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think Adams did not use pyro, other than in his early years.

My understanding is that Edward Weston used pyro extensively, the the old Kodak Pyro ABC formula.

The 1+1+100 dilution is for Pyrocat. Pyrocat is provided in two stock solutions, Stock A and Stock B. A small amount of A and B is mixed together with a large amount of water to form the working developer. This is done just prior to developing as the mixed solutions go bad within a relatively short period of time (several hours). So what this means is One Part A + One Part B + 100 Parts of water to form the working solution.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    Is it true that Ansel Adams used Pyro devs? What kind were they? An older formula of the above, no doubt?

Pyro can come in a single bath developer right? Does it keep in full bottles as well as D76 stock? Is it re-useable or one shot?

What kind of dilution is 1+1+100? Is it for 2 bath?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There is generally a part A and a part B used single shot,single bath. 1 part A 1 part B 100 parts water. The A keeps a bout 1 year and B forever, generally. PYRO and Pyrocat are not the same thing. PYRO is pyrogallol acid and pryocat is catechol. Both developers stain, and harden the emultion and are deliverd in A+B (+C) formulations With A the developing agent and B an alkali. Mixed one shot just before use and the life is short after mixed.

I like Pryo developers because they add density with the stain. And that stain can control contrast to some degree depending on VC paper, light source and developer used. These days I use mostly pyrocat MD, but have used various formulas in the past.

The Book of Pyro is a good place to start.

TR
    D-76 is a standard developer, although not one I use.
    Ansel Adams - The Negative

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm thinking about switching to Pyrocat HD, but as you can probably tell, I've never used a staining dev.
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Question for Sandy, what exactly is the different versions of Pyrocat? HC, MD, MC, etc?

Oh, and a general forum answer as far as stains go, different devs, different stains. Pyrocat stains differently from say, PMK. I'm not sure where WD2D fits in here, but I have heard good things about that
    David

A Holga is an ugly woman, a Brownie is a delicious treat.

dromanophoto.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I've fallen in love with Pyrocat-HD, though I use it at 2:2:100 mostly. Phenomenally easy to use, lasts forever in the glycol (until mixed) and gives a beautiful image imo.

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    What happens if you change the ratio of 1:1:100 to 2:1½:100 or 2:2:100?
    I use momentairly Pyrocat MC.
    In other words I am looking for a little more contrasty negs.
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Increasing the strength of the Developer to 2+2+100 will give you the increase in contrast you're after, you'll need to find your own optimum development time. As an example I process most of my films for 15 minutes using Pyrocat HD 1+1+100 at 20°C, but when tray processing use Pyrocat HD at 2+2+100 for 9 minutes at 20°C to get the same contrast.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin