Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,979   Online: 915

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pyrocat-HD

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    [quote="Leon"]

"So - initial reactions - the negs are very dense, the stain is extremely brown and prominent, (as compared to mild and weak with exactol lux) they are bitingly sharp (even when taken with the holga!). There is very good shadow and highlights details. I have only scanned the negs so far, but have found the grain to be really heavy (sharp but heavy). The tonality is wonderful though."

HP5+ is a film that stains well with Pyrocat-HD. Indeed, with rotary processing it stains almost too well unless you slow down the rate of rotation a lot. My medium format HP5+ negatives are characterized by a nice brownish/yellow stain, distinctive but not heavy, and slightly coarse grain.

Using the type of agitation you describe, and medium format film, I would not have expected properly exposed negatives to have an extremely brown stain, nor to have really heavy grain. It sounds to me that you overexposed the film by quite a lot, at least one stop and perhaps even more.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks sandy. Over exposure is highly probable - i really dont think that that Holga was the best camera for a trial run!!!

I have posted an image from a neg scan in the technical gallery - the grain is much less prominent than I expected it to be after looking at it on the light box - trouble is, I cant print it properly at the moment as I dont have my dark room done .... wont be long though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Holgas always seem to give some overexposure on very sunny days. The PyrocatHD in my experience allows you to shoot at the regular film rating so you probably were over by one stop. And of course those wonderfull holga optics are going to provide a pretty contrasty neg anyway with sunlight.

Right now HP5 and PyrocatHD are my choice for my LF work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    thanks sandy. Over exposure is highly probable - i really dont think that that Holga was the best camera for a trial run!!!

I have posted an image from a neg scan in the technical gallery - the grain is much less prominent than I expected it to be after looking at it on the light box - trouble is, I cant print it properly at the moment as I dont have my dark room done .... wont be long though.
    BTW, am I looking at distortioin in the horizontal lines (from the Holga lens) or does the top of the building really have that shape?

Sandy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    BTW, am I looking at distortioin in the horizontal lines (from the Holga lens) or does the top of the building really have that shape?
    that'll be the holga Sandy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have just finished a sample of 5x4 negs developed with Pyrocat-HD using minimal agitation and I am very pleased with the initial results.

I used the 1:1:150 dilution for 45 mins in BTZS tubes.

My observations(although not scientific) are as follows:
    1. The negs seem to have stained more using this technique over my previous constant agitation runs but this might be subjective as I don't have a densitometer.
    2. The negs are very sharp and fine grained

I also liked the long process as it allowed me to answer the phone, make the tea and read Black and White magasine whilst developing. I will now try and establish my personal film speed using the minimal agitation and incorporate this technique in my reportior.

Phill Dresser
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Phil, I use the 1:1.5:120 dilution (I tested quite a few of them) for all my minimal agitation negatives and my printing times are now between 30 to 60 secs on Grade 2 AZO.
    Francesco

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by philldresser
    I have just finished a sample of 5x4 negs developed with Pyrocat-HD using minimal agitation and I am very pleased with the initial results.

I used the 1:1:150 dilution for 45 mins in BTZS tubes.

My observations(although not scientific) are as follows:
    1. The negs seem to have stained more using this technique over my previous constant agitation runs but this might be subjective as I don't have a densitometer.
    2. The negs are very sharp and fine grained

I also liked the long process as it allowed me to answer the phone, make the tea and read Black and White magasine whilst developing. I will now try and establish my personal film speed using the minimal agitation and incorporate this technique in my reportior.

Phill Dresser

Phil,

I just looked at data comparing the 1:1:150 dilution (minimal agitation) of Pyrocat-HD with the 2:2:100 dilution (rotary) with three films, FP4+, 400Tmax and 320TXP and there was virtually no difference in the level of stain with the two methods, either with Blue reading or UV reading. I had actually expected that the stain wold be much less with the minimal agitation procedure becaue of the fact that the film is still for so long in the developer so the the actual results were somewhat surprising.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandy

That is interesting. The only differences in technique was a longer and more vigourous presoak (5 mins vig 5 mins stand) as I was keen to remove all AHL dyes. Also the comparison is totally based on a visual inspection. I have duplicate shot still undeveloped so I will do this using the normal agitation and compare these.

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't find the stain being the same in these two methods of development to be all that unusual. As I look at it, the material that is capable of containing proportional stain is the gelatin of the film emulsion. The amount of gelatin has not increased or decreased in the methods. Thus it would seem that the potential is to contain a given degree of stain.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin