Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,767   Posts: 1,484,160   Online: 786

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Does anyone know the speed of these films?

Does anyone know the speed ratings of these 2 really old motion films? I can find any info on the web. Interesting that the negative version has mag stripe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 257881654_tp.jpg   257881683_tp.jpg  
    Last edited by cinejerk; 05-29-2009 at 05:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    you mean what it is now or what it was in 1953?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "you mean what it is now or what it was in 1953?"

Oh, both if you know them ;-)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    At this point you should do a clip test. Try everything from ASA 12, 25, 50, 100, to 200. Then develop it for a reasonable average amount of time. Look for good density and go with that speed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess no one knows any more than I do.

Does anyone know what the original speed rating was for these 2 films?

I know their older than me ;-)
    Last edited by cinejerk; 05-30-2009 at 07:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not even a guess? No where I can look? hello?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cinejerk View Post
    Not even a guess? No where I can look? hello?
    The problem is that high speed has meant different things at different times, for example at one time 50ASA would have been considered extremely fast, now it's considered very slow. What was considered fast or slow may have been different between still and motion picture film. Your looking at film that was made over a half century ago.

There are actually 2 issues here, first is the original box speed, which should be on the box somewhere. Before the ASA took over the rating of film speed there were several other systems which could also be different between still and motion picture films.

Second is how has over 50 years of unknown storage affected the film. The original speed matters little now, determining it's current speed would be done by experimentation. Even someone who has another sample of this film and has tested it, may not yield the same speed if it was stored differently.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks wogster. Most of these cans don't have their original boxes. I do have a box from the 933A and don't see anything resembling a speed rating. Mostly the same info as on the label.
    I have been trying some similar dupont film (930A) And it has a data sheet with a rating of 32. It seems to be pretty close. I think the 930A is probably similar in age.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cinejerk View Post
    Thanks wogster. Most of these cans don't have their original boxes. I do have a box from the 933A and don't see anything resembling a speed rating. Mostly the same info as on the label.
    I have been trying some similar dupont film (930A) And it has a data sheet with a rating of 32. It seems to be pretty close. I think the 930A is probably similar in age.
    Another thing you could try, is George Eastman house, they are a museum, even though they are part of Kodak, they may know some of the history of some non-Kodak film. You might also try duPont even though they got out of the film business a long time ago, they may have retained some historical information.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was able to find this:

http://books.google.com/books?q=dupo...G=Search+Books

Which has a book stating 933A was 500ASA (Independent filmmaking‎ - Page 352 - although it does say "rated at")

http://books.google.com/books?q=+937...G=Search+Books

Which has a book stating 937A was 125ASA (American cinematographer‎ - Page 710)

I take it you bought it from this guy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160324377095
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin