Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,912   Online: 773

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Has anyone here had any recent experience with the "new" Agfa Black and White films?
    I have worked - extensively - with the "old" AgfaPan 400 - happens to be my favorite - and upon puchasing a new "block", found it to be "New" (arrgghhh!!) with "revised" processing times.
    Interesting ... Agfa now recommends processing APX400 in Rodinal 1:50 for thirty (30) minutes. If I "push" APX100 two stops, to ISO 400, the processing time - from the "Incredibly Large Time and Temperature" site would work out to ... thirty (30) minutes. Do you suppose that ....???
    Could Agfa have eliminated one emulsion by relying on "push" processing?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Very interesting (as I hide behind a fern and have my helmet on). Us old farts will know what I mean.

Good question tho, let us know how your tesing goes.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The 'New' films should be just the same as the old ones.
    The difference is that the film base has been changed. The new one is more robust. The emulsion and characteristics of the film should be the same with the exception of the dev times.

30mins does sound rather long, does anybody know about this....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gareth harper
    30mins does sound rather long, does anybody know about this....
    This is directly from the .pdf Data Sheet - from Agfa's web site.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Ed,

My first rolls of APX400 have just arrived by post. Never used the stuff before. I'm assuming as it's dated 7/2008 it should be the new stuff.
    It says inside 10mins for 1/25. Nothing about 1/50 dillution which is like you how I want to use it. 30mins! Have Agfa made a mistake?

Though I haven't used APX before I do remember reading in the last year in AP that the film was re-hashed with a new base, no other changes but the new base has effected devloper times.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Data Sheet is downloadable from:

http://www.agfa.com/photo/products/pdf/F-PF-E4_en.pdf
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't soup anything in Rodinal 1:100 more than 20mins so that time sounds like.. a manufacturers recommendation!!! Be wary!

ed, i found that the new agfa 400 (the apx) is a better one than the old. aesthetically both are about the same, but the new one can be enlarged without worry to 12/16". that is very important to me cause i really had problems with it (with the pan that is sold bulck). u also can push this film. agfa says to 1600, but i think that the 800 is very good. about the development - personally i like to be with this film a bit violent - rodinal 1+25 on well exposed 400 with extended development. the grain and mood is outstanding on this film. it is old primintive grain that i like so much on this film. with the last verssion of this film it enlarges very good as well - in all formats, the best of course is to make enlargement big enough (like 11/14 of 35mm or 20/24 on 69cm). the enlargement (like those) shoes the character of the film and a quality to the print.
    as a general purpose fast film i wouldnt recomend it anyway. i think that hp5 or for those how like modern ones (like delta and tmax) is a much better choice. but again.. if u want temperament of the film - it is apx400.
    by the way, the elargement works best with the condesner of course.
    victor

Shooter
    Medium Format
    About Agfa's pdf files:
    They have the file mentioned above about films. There is also one about developers. Which of course refers to the films too. After the Agfapan 400 was changed, I downloaded the latest pdf's including C-SW16-E16.pdf (film chemistry) and found that there were direct contradictions between that and the file that Ed refers to above (F-PF-E4_en.pdf). There were some obvious very bad typos too (typical of a document being updated).

Anyway, C-SW16-E16.pdf has disappeared from Agfa's web site and been replaced with the previous edition C-SW-E15.pdf, presumably while they do some corrections to -E16.pdf. This might take a couple more months, at the current rate of progress.

I can email edition 16 if you are interested.

The good news (if the pdf is correct) is that the speed has improved a bit:
    Rodinal 1+25 EI=400
    Rodinal 1+50 EI=500

The time of 30min for Rodinal 1+50 is, as usual for Agfa, for contrast=0.65.

For most of us, 0.55 is closer to normal contrast, and times for Rodinal 1+50 for that is more like 15min (because the gamma/time graph is of very low gradient)

New Agfapan400 started with the following batch numbers:
    35mm em.no. 450
    120 roll em.no. 260

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I guess I'll bracket +/-1 stop and try 1/50 for 15mins then and see what I get. Now all I need is an excuse to fire off a couple rolls.
    Cheers John.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin