Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,962   Posts: 1,558,325   Online: 981

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plus-X vs Tri-X

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If I could only shoot one film it would be Tri-X. IMO it truly is the best b/w film made and has been for a very long time.
    Tri-X has an almost perfect balance of tonality, grain and speed. It does pretty much anything and depending on how you process it can have several different looks.

Plus-X is similar to Tri-X, but of course finer grained. It has a similar feel, probably because both emulsions have been around for a few decades (with a few revisions). Grain is very good and the tonality is excellent. Plus-X is very nice for portrait work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Plus-X is often called Tri-X's little brother. I suppose that's true enough. Both are fine films and most of the difference is in the speed of the two films, although grain does play a part.

Freestyle in L.A. sells their Arista Premium brand which is Plus-X and Tri-X in a different wrapper. The cost is very low.

Get yourself an extra 35 body and shoot both, one film in each. You'll like both of these films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the camera going to be handheld then I will go got Tri-X. If you going to use a tripod than use Plus-X. At least that's what I'll do!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Buy both and use what is appropriate to the ambient lighting conditions.

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In 120, I find that Plus-X is a good film to use with HC-110, because it tends to have rather brilliant highlights. Tri-X is much more about good midtones, which is what you want for most situations, especially with people. If you look at each film's characteristic curve, you will see that they differ a bit.

For landscape, Plus-X can be very interesting. But I can never manage to get it to my taste in 35mm--I haven't worked out a proper EI/dev time to avoid blown highlights (lazy, I know). So I stick to Tri-X in 35mm, because it suits my 35mm style more, and I use Plus-X in 120 because it suits my MF style more...
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin