Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,962   Posts: 1,558,330   Online: 930

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plus-X vs Tri-X

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Plus-X vs Tri-X

So far my BW shooting has been limited to 120; Fuji Acros and Ilford SFX 200. I'm wanting to start playing w/BW in 35mm.

Which of the 2 Kodaks in the thread title do you prefer/recommend and why? I won't be using the 35 for portraits, mostly outdoor "found" objects or situations.

Any other 35mm BWs I may want to try?

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Acros in 35mm would be good too. I shoot some Tri-X but mostly Ilford HP5, FP4 and Delta 100.
    Generally all of the film out there is good and interesting to try IMO. For found objects at different times of the day I'd opt for Ilford HP5 or Tri-X.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Tri-X is a better all around film in my mind because it has more speed. It's also cheaper and probably a bit more flexible in terms of exposure. I like them both though. Plus-X is great for a sunny day.

It seems to me that Plus-X is a bit less blue sensitive; I don't blow out skies as much when I shoot non-filtered on Plus-X as I do with Tri-X. Maybe that's all in my mind though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8300: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.266 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

They have a similar look to me. I use them both a lot, solely depending on how much light I have. I use PX from 64-125 and TX from 200-3200 if in a pinch.
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like them both but like Plus-X better of the two, light allowing.

I tend to shoot FP4 Plus and Pan-F Plus the most though.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hard to compare them as they are quite different speeds, although both are "traditional" films with really good exposure/processing latitude. If speed is no object, then go for the Plus-X, it will give you finer grain and a bit more sharpness than the Tri-X.
    I have been using the new TMax400, find it to be an excellent film, much sharper than Plus-x or Tri-X, if that's what you are looking for. Of course you can do as I do, and try them all, great fun!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You may want to give Fuji's Neopan 400 a try. I feel this is one of the most underrated films around. It's very similar to Tri-x in all respects, but with slightly finer grain (it has a beautiful grain *pattern*) and higher sharpness. One could maybe say that Neopan 400 is the best of the two worlds of T-grain and old style emulsions: it has the fine grain and sharpness of the former, and the tonality of the latter.

I don't know about the US, but in Europe Neopan 400 is significantly cheaper that both Tri-x and HP5+.

I like Neopan 400 best at EI 250 in Rodinal 1+50 8 min, both in 35mm and in 120. Try it, you may be pleasently suprised. Or first read Mark Anthony Smith's evaluation of Neopan 400. He hits the nail on the head if you ask me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am inclined to say that Tri-X is what one would expect from a higher-speed Plus-X, and vice versa. Tri-X has coarser grain, but it is a nice grain. Plus-X has a similar grain pattern, but finer. I like both of these films, and use them as higher and lower speed versions of each other.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tri-X is faster, Plus-X has finer grain. They have a somewhat different look to them, and they behave a bit differently, but these are fine points, I presently prefer Tri-X, although I used to prefer Plus-X (there's no accounting for taste). I just like the look and handling better, for no good reason. Tri-X has quite fine grain - good enough for just about all uses. Plus-X grain is noticeably finer. Sharpness is nearly equal, although measurements say Plus-X is a bit better. Try a couple of rolls of each and see which works best for you.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depends on the available light really. If it's quite ample, go with PX, if it's flat and heading towards afternoon, go with TX. If you can't make a decision which film to bring with you on a given day, use TX.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin