Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,944   Online: 1105

Shooter
    35mm

Developing time for 120 100 ASA Pan Film?

My son just started developing yesterday with some 35mm film. He had mixed results but he learned a lot and had fun.
    He has an unbranded roll of 120 100 ASA Pan Film to develop in D-76. Please tell me if 7 min. sounds correct. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are going to be pretty different times for different films, so it is really tough to tell without your knowing what brand of film it is. You could certainly start at about 7 min, you will likely get something ranging from very good to marginally printable. For use as a one shot developer, D-76 is normally diluted 1:1, are you doing this or using as stock? If you are diluting the developer, I suspect you may be underdeveloping a touch at 7 min, but again it really depends on the film. Where did you get the film? That might help us identify it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen View Post
    There are going to be pretty different times for different films, so it is really tough to tell without your knowing what brand of film it is. You could certainly start at about 7 min, you will likely get something ranging from very good to marginally printable. For use as a one shot developer, D-76 is normally diluted 1:1, are you doing this or using as stock? If you are diluting the developer, I suspect you may be underdeveloping a touch at 7 min, but again it really depends on the film. Where did you get the film? That might help us identify it.
    Thanks for the reply. We have the Kodak D-76 B&W Film Developer package that makes 1 Liter. The film was given to us by a very generous APUG member. I sent him a PM, but have not heard back from him.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen View Post
    D76/ID11 is normally used Full Strength, and often replenished. In a commercial lab all films would get processed for the same development time and apart from Fomapan the optimal development times needed for 100 ISO B&W films are very close anyway.

As Paul says 7 minutes is perhaps a bit short, 8 minutes would be better.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin