Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,932   Online: 1022

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Too few negatives with Mamiya m645

Hi!
    Since I've started developing, it's one thing that annoyed the crap out of me.

I only get 11 ½ negative on a 16 roll film. The only film I've used is Kodak T-Max 400, developed in a paterson tank on paterson spools.

The missing negatives are sometimes visible under very, very bright light - but they're un-scannable.

My tiny little research says that the Mamiya m645 1000s is a 6x4,5cm and that should give me 15 or 16 exposures.

What am I doing wrong or am I doing something wrong?

Is it maybe the spooling of the film?

Or the inserting of the film in the camera that's wrong? I can't see this being the cause since I think I'm doing it right. Yeah, I spool it to the arrow.

Thanks!

Sorry for my sloppy english.
    Mamiya 645 1000s, Sekor 45mm F/2,8, 80mm F/2,8, 210mm F/4

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can see all 16 frames, but sometimes they're really underexposed? Or you have 11 -12 frames, with really big gaps between them? If it is big gaps between every frame, it's probably a problem with the film insert and/or the gearing in the advance mechanism. If it's random underexposures, then it's probably an issue with your shutter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's always the last exposures. The first 11 is fully visible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But, there are exposures there, just really faint? If that is the case, I have no idea. If the film just winds off after 11 exposures, then I would check the insert or the gearing in your camera counting mechanism.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So you get good results from the first 11 or so exposures and the rest are faint? Doesn't sound like a camera problem to me. Sounds like a development problem.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I don't see an on camera problem causing that other than extreme underexposure. If it's on every roll you run through it's either got to be in handling the film or processing.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a wild guess.

Are you using a power winder with your camera? Do you note any difference in it's behaviour toward the end of the roll?

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eliminate the possibility of processing errors, get some one else to process a film, It is just possible you're not loading the reel properly and the last frames are overlapping.

Mamiya 645's do suffer from winding mechanism problems as they wear, and it's possible the shutter isn't re-setting properly on the last frames. The 645S is quite an old camera and they do go wrong, mines been serviced twice since I bought it second-hand in the early 80's.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi!
    Thank you for your suggestions!
    No, I don't use a power winder and the film doesn't wind off.
    I will try to send a film in to a photoshack to get it developed there instead. Maybe it's the frames overlapping.
    And if that doesn't work, I'll get someone to look it over.

Thanks.

Siggybottom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was having the same problem with my M645pro. Lost a lot of frames during a wedding shoot. A new back solved the problem. Only $53 from KEH.

Give this a whirl, and save yourself some hassles.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin