Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,413   Online: 679

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I ran out of Kodalk today. I have used a dilute solution to soak negative prior to development. I went down to the camera store--no Kodalk. They haven't had it for years. Does anyone know if sodium borate from B&S is a close alternative?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sodium Metaborate is the substitute.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    20 Muleteam Borax is close and will work just fine.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    20 Muleteam Borax is close and will work just fine.

lee\c
    You can make a 30% sodium metaborate equivalent solution (same as Kodalk) by mixing 136 grams of Mule Team Borax with 29 grams of Red Devil Lye to make one liter of total solution. You can find these brands in the cleaning department of virtually all grocery stores.

Start with 750 ml of water, first add the Mule Team Borax and dissolve, then add the Red Devil Lye. Top the container to 1000ml and you have a 30% soidum metaborate solution that is same as the Stock B solution used in PMK.

I imagine that you would want tio dilute this for the alkaline pre-soak, however.

Sandy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin