Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,755   Online: 927

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thoughts on RC VC paper, I need a good replacement

So just when I finally get to breaking out the Forte Polywarmtone RC Semi-Matte, and just after falling in love with it I see that it seems to be discontinued. And unfortunately I only bought 25 sheets!

Are there any comparable papers to Forte Polywarmtone out there? I don't really like glossy. I am not ready or interested in FB right now. I like VC and I print with a grade 3 filter. I am printing in my own darkroom again and I didn't realize how short my exposures are ~ 3/4 seconds with the Ilford MGIV glossy, so I LOVED how slow that Forte paper was, that same negative at 4 seconds on Ilford printed lovely on the Forte at f11 at 12seconds.

I have no knowledge of any other papers so are there good papers versus not so good papers? My film is TMX 400 for 35mm and TMX or TMY400 for 120 and developing in dektol with plans to try out xtol in the near future if that info helps any...... Any thoughts or suggestions?

Also it may be too late to hoard Forte but I'm at least going to hunt for some, what are thoughts on buying paper from that Auction site? I'm wary of buying paper from there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mekia,

ILFORD Warmtone is available on resin coated paper.

Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could also invest in a neutral density filter to lengthen your exposure times with the faster paper. I have a 2-stop ND which luckily fits all three of my enlarging lenses (50, 80 and 105). I bought it to use when making small enlargements where exposure times were getting very short.

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Tom I just went to BH and found it, I'll try some of the pearl finish.

DWThomas, I ordered two ND filter sheets for 2 and 3 stops to place in my filter drawer a few days ago. Hopefully that will allow me to get in the area of 15-25 second printing for dodging and burning.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    If you have a colour head, you don't need ND filters - just dial in equal amounts of Y, M and C and you will have grey. Then, add the normal amounts of Y or M to control the contrast.

Shooter
    35mm
    I recently ran out of expired Illford MGIV paper and bought some Arista EDU Ultra VC RC paper. I instantly noticed that it was warmer-toned than the Illford paper and it's also a stop or two slower.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I recently ran out of expired Illford MGIV paper and bought some Arista EDU Ultra VC RC paper. I instantly noticed that it was warmer-toned than the Illford paper and it's also a stop or two slower.
    I'll make note of that for the future.

With papers seemingly dwindling quickly what are some of your thoughts on papers as far as some are good quality and others are of lesser quality? Besides the technical stuff what should I be careful of when switching papers or trying other papers? When I bought my pack of Forte I had no idea that I would not be able to buy anymore in a years time. I suppose it is a good thing that Ilford makes a warmtone that's not glossy, it looks like Ilford will be here for a little while longer at least. When I get this pack of Ilford warmtone pearl finish I know to try it out as soon as possible then buy a large pack just in case!

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    Just about any other warmtone paper is probably going to be your best bet for a replacement; however, The Polywarmtone Project aims to revive this wonderful paper and who knows, it might just happen!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I want to put in a vote for Ilford Warmtone. I love it in semi-matte fiber, but if RC is your cup o' tea, its some really great stuff. Still, too much of a price hike over regular FB or RC. Oh, well
    David

A Holga is an ugly woman, a Brownie is a delicious treat.

dromanophoto.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    With papers seemingly dwindling quickly what are some of your thoughts on papers as far as some are good quality and others are of lesser quality?
    I have heard anecdotes on this website about Foma/EDUultra RC paper "silvering out" after only a few years in a frame, where Illford paper of the same vintage and conditions did not do so. It seems plausible to me that a large, somewhat "premium" manufacturer such as Illford might have proprietary technologies incorporated in their papers that the 2/3 as expensive Arista paper does not. If it wasn't for the price cut and the fact that I actually like the warm tones of the Arista paper, I would use nothing but fresh Illford products to be on the safe side. As it is, I don't sell any of my work nor weep at the thought of my unskilled printing deteriorating after a few years. I'm a hobbyist and most/all of my printing is just practice to me. In 5 years I'll probably want to reprint all my stuff anyway.
    f/22 and be there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin