Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,054   Posts: 1,561,291   Online: 1200

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
    There's also an inherent curl to most sheet films, and if it's gently squeezed from both sides it will tend to fold with the emulsion side to the inside.

Also, if you're REALLY stuck you could lick your finger and touch the corner - the emulsion side will probably be a little more tacky than the back once the moisture has had a few seconds to penetrate.
    Sorry to disagree, Martin, but I have never felt an inherent curl to any sheet film that I have used. However, I shoot only Kodak and Ilford (although I have an old box of Forte to be opened soon. Maybe it will curl).

As for the lick text, I have to say I think this is a very bad idea. The notches are there for a reason and I can't imagine a situation where making the film wet would be preferable to checking the notches.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation"

Shooter
    35mm
    "As for the lick text, I have to say I think this is a very bad idea. The notches are there for a reason and I can't imagine a situation where making the film wet would be preferable to checking the notches."

I agree.
    The 'lick test' would not work - sheet film usually had gelatine layer on both sides, the layer on the back holds the anti halation dye.

Check the notches, that is why they are there.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Wallace View Post
    Sorry to disagree, Martin, but I have never felt an inherent curl to any sheet film that I have used. However, I shoot only Kodak and Ilford (although I have an old box of Forte to be opened soon. Maybe it will curl).
    I'm with Martin Reed on this; squeeze the edges of the film a touch and the emulsion side bends inwards – useful if you only have one hand free, which is usually the case when you are loading or unloading sheets of film

The emulsion side does feel stickier than the anti halation backing; this is detectable if your hands are even slightly sweaty

I do agree it’s not good to hold the Film between the fingers but I can detect the variation in stickiness even when I hold the film edge-on

Martin

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't get this, but if you guys insist on checking film by running your fingers over it or getting it wet, so be it. I am going to stick with notches.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowcat View Post
    "As for the lick text, I have to say I think this is a very bad idea.....
    Well I did say last resort, and I wasn't implying licking it, just using moisture on the finger. OK one more, very dark green safelight, look for the lighter reflectance on the emulsion side. But it would be tricky finding one of the safelight filters now.

Notches aren't always there - some people are trimming film to smaller sizes for obsolete formats, (but on the other hand they usually leave the notched corner in place).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a darkroom tech I knew all the notches that was my first port of call, but often I'd brush my lip (not wet) against the edge of the film, you can feel the emulsion and this helps if notches are missing or hard to define.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin