Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,757   Online: 1127

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You know what, this stuff ain't rocket science. The rocket science lies with the chemists at Eastman Kodak and other places. That's what we pay for when we buy their products. If your methods are working for you, and you're happy with the results, then it's good.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd imagine that most developers at higher dilutions will give a compensating effect the ones mentioned ID11 etc. will work fine. I like Rodinal at 1:50 or even 1:100 especially with films like FP4, and even HP5 (in 120) I think film choice certainly plays a part.
    I think films with a shoulder like the ones mentioned lend themselves to compressing highlights while maintaining shadow detail very well; my personal favourite is HP5 rated at EI200-250 then developed in Rodinal 15 min 1:100 with 1 inversion per min–hard to burn out the highlights with that combo.
    Have fun
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

compensating dev

I have had great results with D-23 diluted to 3:1. I have also experimented with giving the first 1 to 2 minutes development in straight D-23 then diluting to 3:1 for the remainder. Using this method you give the total time as if you were using the developer diluted i.e. with 3:1 my n-2 time is 9min with EDU ultra 200, so I give the first 2min straight then 7min at 3:1. This has worked well for me with subjects of a 7 to 8 stop range. Beyond this its tough. I have tried KR-1 with a step wedge and found it gives extremely good compensation in the n-2 range with almost 1/2 stop speed increase but it doesn't keep worth a darn so it has to be mixed just before use.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all of the comments. Right now I want to stick with one film/developer combo: Tri-X exposed at 400 and developed with D-76. If I want to use the compensating effects of D-76 by using it 1+3, how would one suggest an initial agitation scheme?

Right now, at 1+1, I agitate 5 times initially followed by 5 seconds every 30 seconds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin