Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,795   Online: 895

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Compensating film developers

Finished re-reading AA's The Camera and now finishing The Negative.

He mention's characteristics of compensating and semi-compensating developers that would seem useful, promoting shadow detail in the lower zones while not causing over-development of the highlights (higher zones).

He did not mention any specific developers that are current/pre-packaged.

1) what are the modern, readily available (commercial) developers that could be said to be compensating/semi-compensating?

2) could D-76 be classified in that sense?

3) as a general rule, would a compensating developer promote effective "box" speed so less adjustments would have to be made on the ISO dial of the camera?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ilford advises using ID-11 1:3 and I would expect such use would give good strong compensating effects as well as good "sharpness." No reason D76 could not be used the same way. For a proper Exposure Index, Ilford used to list an EI for various films at this dilution.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's still a PDF on the Ilford site with the different Dilutions/EI's, it in the Powdered Developers pdf.

You can use developers like Rodinal, Pyrocat HD, HC110/Ilfotec etc at higher dilutions than normal for greater compensation as well.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Probably the most compensating developer available (from the Formulary) is POTA, with which ~20+ stops of range is possible. POTA is supercompensating. The drawback is that it has very short life once mixed from powder. But if you need the range, nothing compares.

Kinda hard to say what a compensating thing like POTA will do with the true speed of the film- it depends what you're after. Offhand I don't see any reason why the extra range would be added equally to both ends of the curve; rather, I suppose that it tends to bring up extra detail in the highlights (sort've as if you had shot the highlights with a slightly slower film). So then if you wanted more shadowdetail you might conclude that the highlights are well protected and rate the film a tick slower. But obviously your logic might be different if you didn't need more shadow detail. And honestly I don't know how much extra range is added to each end of the range, so that is worth checking. (Ron?)

Anyway, let not your mind be taxed by the zone system! POTA is so compensating that such considerations won't be necessary for normal use.
    Last edited by keithwms; 06-04-2009 at 07:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Compensating developers are different to Low contrast developers in that they compress the highlights but retain good shadow and mid-tone detail.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Diluting most devs makes them compensating and gives a higher EI. You can also use divided devs for compensation.

Diafine is often used for compensating effects, but you get a one-stop speed increase.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Does dilution alone give compensating effects? For instance does diluting Xtol to 1+3 give it compensating effects or is that obtained by reducing agitation and allowing developer exhaustion in the highlights? I'd always thought that just diluting a developer didn't necessarily give more shadow detail than an undiluted one.
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Diluting D76/ID-11 and Xtol to 1+3 gives a reasonable degree of compensation, compensation is about restraining the highlights while maintaining the shadow detail. It's related to the exhaustion of the developer.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What Anscojohn and Ian Grant wrote is the unvarnished truth. ID-11, or D-76 if you prefer, works reasonably well as a compensating developer and so does XTOL. For me D-76 at 1+3 is just about perfect for PanF+, which can be difficult to control especially if the light is harsh. Souped in D-76 at that dilution though, it's almost perfect when rated at box speed - still punchy enough through the middle tones to get your attention, but controlled enough in the highlights to retain detail without excessive burning in. Shadows hold pretty well too.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have less experience than probably all of the posters here (put together), I have tried Ansel Adam's compensating development using HC-110 (4ml[US sryup]/500ml[water]). Low dilution and low agitation. My results with TriX at 250 have been good, I don't have a densitometer, but I like the shadows and highlights are pulled. Feel free to point out any errors I may have made, as I say I'm not that experienced and I, like ymc226, would like to learn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin