Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,480   Online: 1135

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Cleaning second hand equipment

This weekend its going to happen. I WILL get the darkroom setup and in progress! (after we have gone to the shops, taken the kids to ballet, done all the house work, mowed the lawns......)

OK, back on topic. I have a whole bunch of second hand trays that I probably should clean before using.

If I were to bleach the gear, should I just use standard household bathroom or even laundry bleach? Does it really matter?

Cheers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Just hot soapy water, a good scrubbing and a thorough rinse should be sufficient.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    I use the dishwasher. Not the wife, the mechanical one. It's probably not recommended, but I do it anyway.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I use the dishwasher. Not the wife, the mechanical one. It's probably not recommended, but I do it anyway.
    I might recommend pulling them from the washer before the drying cycle heats up too much... some trays are not dishwasher safe and will melt. (believe me... :rolleyes: )
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Re: the dishwasher

I'd recommend this as well (and have a dishwasher that is particularly well suited to it, because the top rack is fully removable).

One cation - I'd be very careful with how much detergent I use, because that stuff is quite harsh.

The rinse aid that a lot of dishwashers dispense automatically might also be a problem.

And whatever you do, do not try to use regular (as in the stuff you use in the sink) dishwasher detergent in the automatic dishwasher!!

Matt

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    For those particularly tough stains (silver, tar, etc.), I highly recommend Photofinish. It's fantastic stuff and makes cleaning a breeze.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin