Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,800   Online: 1164

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Beutler is my main developer for FP4+. It works even better with Pan F+.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am in awe of the introduction of new terms. Demiwater. Hmmmm. RO. I use that myself.

The reason is that this is why formulas from 100 years ago or so are so hard to decipher. They read almost in code and are hard to translate. Use of Be (Baume) is common for measuring the concentration of acids and bases, and there are few accurate translation tables existing today. So, please be careful what you use.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    It's like with Rodinal. 1+25 and 1+50 solutions are seldom really thought of as 26 and 51 parts mixed together.
    Ilford generally use I+4, 1+9, 1+19 etc which translate as 1:5, :10, 1:20, ie 1 part made up to the larger number, that's how every one I know uses Rodinal.

Ron (PE) the term is usually Demin in the English speaking world

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've seen a 'modified' Beutler formula in Barry Thornton's book 'Elements'. It is the basic Beutler mix but with the carbonate halved and a few millilitres of Potassium Iodide 0.001% solution added. This is borrowed from Crawley's FX1, I think?

Thing is, the ingredients here are just given as a long list.

Would it still be best to make up two solutions and if so, which one should the Iodide go in? - or at such a low concentration, doesn't it matter?
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It doesn't matter. KI improved for a few films the acutance but what I have seen in practice it's a very small improvement for only a very few slow speed films.
    Making a concentrate of 0,001% Potassium Ioded is also not very practically.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    It doesn't matter. KI improved for a few films the acutance but what I have seen in practice it's a very small improvement for only a very few slow speed films.
    Making a concentrate of 0,001% Potassium Ioded is also not very practically.
    Actually, I have made the Iodide solution before when I've tried FX1. It really isn't difficult, it is just that after you've used your 3ml - it's deciding what to do with the other 9.997 litres

But yes, I found FX1 a bit of a let down. Also FX2 - which is the one with the tiny amount of yellow dye in it? Can't remember all the details now, it was a few years ago that I tried them out, but I do remember that I felt neither were worth the effort with FP4+, which seemed just as sharp in Ilfosol S straight off the shelf...

As I said in another thread, FP4+ is already a high acutance film, I think maybe something not noted for its edge effect, such as T-Max 100, might show more difference?
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pinacryptol yellow

Like you I tried FX-1 & 2 back in the 70's with FP4 and wasn't impressed with either developer, but I think they were supposed to work best with Pan F. I still have the KI solution

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Essentially FX-1 and Beutler's are carbonated metol sulfite
    developers. I've used a 1-3-3 ratio, metol-sulfite-carbonate
    on film. Good for prints also. For prints that ratio is known
    as Ansco 120 or Beer's A. For film those developers
    are used very dilute.

For film the actual amount of chemistry used was 0.3-0.9-0.9
    grams metol-sulfite-carbonate. Solution volume 500ml. Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin