Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,537   Posts: 1,544,269   Online: 778

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Beutler - Why two stock solutions?

The Beutler formula contains only metol, sulphite and carbonate. Why do we have to mix two stock solutions? Many formulas contain the same chemicals, but makes one stock solution only. Does the Beutler keep better in two solutions? Could one make a one solution Beutler if one uses it within a few days?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Most developers keep better in an acidic to slightly alkaline solution, so also Metol. When the carbonate is added the oxidation really speeds up. A low-sulphite developer like Beutler's would die within hours if mixed as a single stock solution.

A way to get around the two-stock "problem" is to make only one, the Metol/sulfite one. When you're getting ready to use it, dissolve the corresponding amount of carbonate in the water first, then add the stock solution directly to that immediately before use.

That's what I do, and it works. Or should I say - it has worked so far.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the explanation and the suggestion.

I may be experimenting with this developer this summer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Metol and Sulfite is rather stable and also Sodium Carbonate in demi-water can be kept for a long time.

Beutler (A+B) is a very interesting developer. High definition and high acutance with box speed and only 3 components.

I like it very much with the Efke 25 and Acros 100.

Here an example from the 35mm negative. I made an enlargement of 40x50cm and you can count the stones.

Best regards,

Robert

Efke 25 in Beutler 1+1+10 7:00 Min. at 20 degrees C.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes Robert, I'm thinking about trying it with Efke 25 & 50 135- and maybe 120-films. The 7 minutes is a bit too short for use with the CombiPlan tank and sheet film, I think. But I could of course put the film in the already filled tank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am using 35mm and 120 rolfilm only. Jobo 1510 and 1520 tanks.
    You do not need much agitation with Beutler.

I make the Beutler A+B with washing Soda.
    Solution A:
    1g Metol
    5g Sodiumsulfite (sicc.)

Solution B:
    5g Sodiumcarbonate (sicc.) or
    14,6g Soda (10.H2O Sodiumcabonate)

Both A+B: fill up with 100ml demi-water

It's really easy to make. And all components are cheap. Each film is about €0,05 for the Beutler developer so neglectible to all other costs.

Acros 100 is also very good: 1+1+10 for 7:00 minutes at 20 degrees C. Instead of iso 64 with Rodinal 1+50 you have full iso rate of 100.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Robert, just so I follow correctly, you're dissolving each set of chemicals in 100 ml water, so when you're done you have two bottles with one having 100 ml of A and the other with 100 ml of B. I'm not sure what you're referring to with the term "demi-water" -- do you mean distilled water?

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Demi-water should be demineralized water.

1+1+10 makes 12 parts. That would be 83 ml part A, 83 ml part B and water up to 1000 ml, for one liter working solution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Demi water is deminiralized water but you can also use destilled water or R.O. (Reverse Osmose) water or even boiled - filtered water because the application of Beutler is not really critical.

You fill up each stock to 100ml with above mentioned water.

For the dilution 1+1+8:
    for a 35mm tank with a 250ml volume: 25+25+ fill up till 250ml with regular tap water.
    or: 50+50 fill up till 500ml for the roll film.

As already said great results with the Efke films. This Willi Beutler formulae fits in the 50's with the Dr Schleussner/Adox single layer films very well.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    For the dilution 1+1+8: ...
    It's like with Rodinal. 1+25 and 1+50 solutions are seldom really thought of as 26 and 51 parts mixed together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin