Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,397   Online: 903

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, I've just completed a 20min test with the lights out in both the room and the adjacent rooms...No problem. I forgot I had the proper blind, which I had taken down to get the curtain fitted. I put that in place and it has accounted for the pin holes. The only issue I had was light leaking through the Velcro (I am assuming it is not contacted 100 % in some spots) and a very dull amount of light under the door, both fixed with duct tape and a towel respectively.

Now, I am mighty annoyed......It won't be until next weekend when I can actually use it!

Cheers and thanks for your imput all!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Simple test that should be done from time to time. Even should be done to make sure your safe light will not be a problem. Take out a single sheet of paper and lay on the table where you would normally work, be it enlargments or cantact prints. Let it lay there with some objects on top (IE you grain focuser, or anything with a simple shape). Let it sit for about the longest amount of time you would expect a sheet to sit out while working on it. 10mins maybe. After the time is run out, develop it as normal and when in light, look for signs of the shapes on the paper at all. If the the paper is completely white, you are OK. Try it with safe light on and off to test for light leaks and/or to confirm you safe light is infact safe.

Jason

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I print in my darkroom (read: downstairs half bath) and I have light coming in at the bottom of the door. VERY LITTLE LIGHT. Of course my girth is planted between the bottom of the door and my working areas because right in front of the door is the only place for me to sit/stand.

All this to say I have had no adverse effects with paper fog due to this light. And I process film the same way. I would estimate a five minute time before I can make out any details in the gloom.

So in answer, yes. It must be light tight. Completely. But I don't practice what I preach.
    Last edited by Christopher Walrath; 06-07-2009 at 09:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Hoffy,

Just give it a try. I doubt a few pinholes will be a problem. Just make sure you only take out one sheet of paper at a time. ;>)

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    We recently had a series of threads about pro darkrooms from the 70s and 80s on filmwasters. Neil Slavin had red plastic windows in his - see here for details.
    Thanks for that Leon. Very interesting reading.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Try the black plastic sheeting sold in garden supplies or blackout material for curtains.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Instead of sewing and chancing pinholes, get a roll of "Stitch Witchery" an adhesive gauze tape which joins cloth when sandwiched between the pieces and heated by a common iron. It's similar to lacquer dry-mount sheets for backing prints.

Walmart carries this stuff and it's not expensive.

You can use it for patches as well.

Eli

Shooter
    35mm
    My door is leaky and it doesn't seem to matter. I have tested it by exposing paper to various shades of grey and leaving it out with half of it covered. It doesn't fog at all up to 5 minutes so I figure that's all that matters.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks guys!

I am now a happy chappy! Its all up and running and I have my first contact print drying!

Yes, there is some light and 100% block out is probably 95% blackout, but thanks to the blind setup in the room, it proves not to be much of an issue!

I have also lined the door into the rest of the house with a weather strip. There was a bit of heartache as I had to adjust the door latch so it would close, but all now seems fine.

I also did a few test strips, one with safelight off and another with the safelight on, both with the focus scope sitting on the strip (thanks for the tip!).

Couldn't see any noticeable fogging, so I am happy!

Cheers and thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used dark red plexiglas over the 2 small windows in my bathroom darkroom. Even in full day light it is perfectly safe. Film can be loaded or processed at night. There are no street lights or neighbors close to where I live. The biggest problem is not bumping in to the Beseler 45. It takes up 1/4 of the bathroom.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin