Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,740   Posts: 1,515,537   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Some general RC paper handling questions

OK, cool, now I have my Darkroom up and running, I have some general questions on the best way dealing with paper:

1. What is better - cutting stock to size before or after printing? The reason I ask is how easy is the paper damaged either before or after printing.
    2. Currently I only have Ilford Multi grade Delux Pearl. When doing the final rinse/wash, is there any benefit in using a wetting agent?
    3. Drying - From my experiences and what I have read here, using a squeegy on Film is something that I have been avoiding. Are the same risks apparent when drying RC papers? Should I dry flat or is there no reason why I can't hang RC papers to dry?

I'm sure there are many other questions, but these are my main concerns at the moment

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1) Cut before printing. It's not so much a question of damage, as workflow. It may also increase the chance of safelight fogging if you expose before cutting. The one exception is when you are printing multiple small prints of the same negative. It can save you a lot of time to print, then rotate, and then print again on the other half of the sheet. In that case, of course, you are trimming after processing;
    2) I cannot think of any advantage to using a wetting agent with paper - whether fibre or RC;
    3) RC is very easy to dry. Here is a suggestion (cross posted from the Postcard exchange 17 thread):

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails all cards 1b.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah, I saw that. It made me think of the baby bottle drier that we had. Unfortunately, the drier has been handed down to the next person.

I was thinking of making a drying rack out of nylon fly screen, as per an example I saw in a book, but was wondering whether just hanging was just as good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The rack is just a shelf designed to be used in a kitchen cupboard - I paid something like $8.00 US in a kitchen supply store.

The only problem with hanging up to dry is the potential for bruising or crimping the print with the clip.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Cut before printing if the size needed is much smaller than the size you have. If only a bit of trimming is needed, it is much easier to do this after printing.

No advantage to using a wetting agent really.

Hang them up to dry on a line with clothes pegs or whatever.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I sponge dry, RC or FB. A sponge will pull
    water from paper and gelatin and in doing
    so, not leave any water about.

Photo grade sponges are still available.
    I have found house hold sponges to
    do well. Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

1) I cut my prints after printing/drying.

2) I don't use a drying aid (Photo Flo, et al.) In the rinse.

3) I hang dry my prints. Takes under an hour.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1) Cut the prints after drying

2) I don't use a wetting agent but I use a sponge on both sides.

3) I am drying in the IR dryer which give high glossy prints and a drying time (after the sponge) of 20 S. But you can also do it with a hair dryer. PE/RC paper will give nice glossy prints dried around 50-55 degrees C. It takes a bit longer but it also works.

An RC print is a photograph on life support. Do two things, tone with Selenium or preferably a short Polysulfide dip, and get Ctein's book Post Exposure.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1) RC paper is robust so cut it at whichever point is most practical. If you are talking for example about cutting 8x10 into two 8x5 sheets for printing then obviously you will need to cut them before processing and if you are talking about trimming the edges to size then it is simpler to do it in room lighting after processing and drying.

2) Do not bother with wetting agent. I squeegee the back side and then the front side on a sheet of perspex to remove surface water and then dry.

3) No need to dry RC flat. As shown in Matt's image they will happily dry upright and will support their own weight (don't try that with fibre paper tho ).

Have fun, Bob.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin