Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,473   Posts: 1,570,974   Online: 811

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Plus-X ca. 1960 - is that look still possible today?

I have recently seen some 35mm Plus-X shots taken 50 or so years ago. I was quite struck by the photos - a very pleasing dramatic but lively retro look.

I am sure a lot of what I am reacting to is attributable to the exposure and development skills of the photographer (not to mention the equipment of that era); however, I am wondering if this is achievable with today's Plus-X. The Kodak technical publication of 2007 states that new technology is used to manufacture the film but users can expect the same results.

Does any one have any experience in using this film over a long time period?

I am just wondering if the new technology uses a different base, less silver, etc. and, therefore, changes the look vis-a-vis that of 50 years ago. I have experimented with the Adox CHS 100 and like really like the look of that film which is similar to that I saw in the old Plus-X photos.

Also - Perhaps more important than the film, any recommended developers and/or development techniques that would help in achieve these results?

Thanks

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I'm not sure what look you're referring to but I would think period chemistry would get you in the ballpark.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    check this thread out:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/6...rey-tones.html

it isn't quite the same, but there are suggestions that might apply to what you are looking to do ...

i do not know any way to make a modern emulsion look like it was processed/printed 45+ years ago,
    other than through experimenting with one film, and one developer with varying dilutions and developing techniques.

good luck!

john

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin