Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,725   Online: 961

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 400' Bulk film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

400' Bulk film

I have seen places on the web that sells 35mm film at 400' lengths. I have 100' loaders. Are there gadgets to deal with this, or is there a lot of fiddling on the part of the people that use this stuff?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends on what you want to call a lot of fiddling and your manual dexterity. I'd load the carts in the dark straight from the 400 ft. roll. I've done it from shorter bulk loads when I didn't have a bulk loader and didn't find it too difficult.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can either of you direct me to a site selling these 400ft rolls. I have almost used up a 600ft roll of thin cine film. I manually spool about 200ft of it onto a spindle from a spent 100ft roll of Kodak or other bulk film (my bulk loader takes 200ft rolls).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    I have seen places on the web that sells 35mm film at 400' lengths. I have 100' loaders. Are there gadgets to deal with this, or is there a lot of fiddling on the part of the people that use this stuff?
    Not sure if there are any gadgets, but even without them, the fiddling is not too bad, IMHO. Not sure what film(s) you are referring to (please share), but I'm using Polypan-F (for example here). I'm just guesstimating and spooling about 100' (well, 30 m) onto an empty bulk spool before putting it in a bulk loader. The drawback that this film has no frame numbers is actually an advantage; I don't have to spool it "the right way" in order to get incrementing instead of decrementing frame numbers.

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Can either of you direct me to a site selling these 400ft rolls. I have almost used up a 600ft roll of thin cine film. I manually spool about 200ft of it onto a spindle from a spent 100ft roll of Kodak or other bulk film (my bulk loader takes 200ft rolls).
    ic-racer

it seems that you can get large rolls of kodak 5222
    here:
    http://www.tapesuperstore.com/koblandwhned.html

from all reports is it very much like tri x of days gone by
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/5...i-x-equal.html

it looks like fun ...

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    This is what first caught my eye....

http://filmemporium.stores.yahoo.net...35mmfilm2.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eastman 5222 is ok if you can get it in short ends for about $.18/ft. Factory cans at $.38/ft makes it more expensive than buying Arista Premium 100 and 400 (rebadged Plus-X and Tri-X) from Freestyle in 100 ft. rolls. I've used a bit of the 5222 and it makes a nice still film, but not as nice as Tri-X and Plus-X.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I mentioned this in another thread, but this is my gadget to respool up to 1,000 foot rolls to smaller spools.
    Turning negative into positive since 1975

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Similarly to the above, I bought two lazy susan's from Ikea. Like 9 dollars each. My 600 meter roll goes on one and I put the empty core for 30m roll on the other and just spin until I've got enough to fit into my bulk loader.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    Eastman 5222 is ok if you can get it in short ends for about $.18/ft. I've used a bit of the 5222 and it makes a nice still film, but not as nice as Tri-X and Plus-X.
    Getting short ends may also work well with your loader, 100ft rolls on "daylight" spools are common. even a 200ft roll is easier to work with.

PLUS-x 5231 is also a good film.

You almost have to call the short end dealers to see if they happen to have any. Colour Neg is of course much more common, but the Rem-Jet and lower contrast makes it not all that practical. Just adjusting the developer fixes the contrast in B&W

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin