Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,008   Online: 756

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It may have a higher base fog, and it is a flatter looking film. You can use this to your advantage during printing...

Delta 3200 rated at EI 12,800 developed in Microphen
    In places where you'd get diddley squat with other 120 films its like eyesight to the blind.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mark Looks amazing at EI 12,800. There may be some loss of shadow detail but I'd contend that most "ordinary" viewers i.e non photographic people wouldn't even notice.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I shoot this for the underwhelming results. It's terribly grainy, and that's why I love it more than any other Black and White film out there.

I shoot it at around an EI of 6400, in 120, and at 3200 in 35mm. Develop in DD-X for a stronger more contrasty result.

The base is always horribly foggy, but printing these provides the most amazing results that scanning can't give you.

This stuff is better than you think, you just have to really give it a chance without judging too much. What's the fun if you can only shoot in daylight? :]

Delta 3200 @ 3200 in DD-X

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'll await final judgement until I contact and print these negs...thanks for the advice.

Interesting to hear a few people say the base is 'foggier' than what might be considered usual. As I said, I need to try this further -- specifically in DD-X, at least. Perhaps TMax developer just isn't the right choice for this film, at least for me?

I remember seeing photos of the 'celidh' and being impressed by the quality. I chose this film specifically because it would be in low-light circumstances and I didn't want to push 400 speed film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Delta 3200 might look flatter than many other films. I'm not sure why that is,....
    As a rule, faster films are less contrasty than slower ones. D3200, being on top of the heap would be the leasst contrasty. I don't exactly know why either, but it follows the pattern.

Shooter
    35mm
    The views on D3200 and DDX is a bit like those on the combo of Pan F and Rodinal. Not everyone believes it is "the very best" combo but few would disagree that it is very good and most seem to agree that you should use the dev times for the next speed up i.e. expose at 1600 and dev for 3200.

My experience is like the rest. The negs look flat and more uniformly grey than you are used to with other Ilford films but the prints are better than you might expect from the negs as some good examples here show.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well put, pentaxuser...thanks for that.

Thanks to the info here, I'm going to try it out with DD-X. Hooray for APUG, this saved me from giving up entirely.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another note: I've personally found TMax dev not very suitable for much else than TMax films. I'm doing my own experimentation because I've got about 20 rolls of this stuff, and all I've used for it is DD-X, but there are probably other alternatives as well. My next roll is going in D-76, and then after that Xtol. DD-X is relatively cheap, so it's definitely worth the try!

I always shoot at around an EI of 800-6400 so I have to be wary of what I use. And have you tried the TMZ (Tmax version of 3200)? A lot grittier, but not suitable for everything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think different developers give different amounts of base fog, I'm guessing some have more of a restraining action. I have found that sometimes very fast acting developer can give higher fog levels.
    So some experimentation with developers may be called for I like Microphen if I rate at 3200EI and above for pulling or rating up to EI 1600 I sometimes use Rodinal which in 120 to my eye gives a well defined grain like the 1970's Tri-x did in 35mm
    Delta does indeed have a greyer base than say Neopan and that may be partly to help with light spreading from point sources halation etc as the film is more likely to be used indoors under such lighting.
    That said I have noted that the base fog increases with storage quite rapidly with Delta 3200, its not a film that you should leave in the glove box of your car, or use for mission critical work when it is five years out of date.
    I have some photos and 100% crops along with my views here:
    http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/200...elta-3200.html
    All in all a wonderful film and one I would hate to be without.
    Mark

CuS

Shooter
    35mm

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    My experience is like the rest. The negs look flat and more uniformly grey than you are used to with other Ilford films but the prints are better than you might expect from the negs as some good examples here show.

pentaxuser
    Again - I agree and I've had good lick deving in HC-110. This is a shot @ 3200 in HC-110B
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3069540505_b32833e343_b.jpg  

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin