Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,215   Online: 948

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Expired HP5

What a great thing to do...lots of congratulations from Florida. Keep up the good work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

This was shot in a Holga with Hp5 that expired 21 years ago. It seems that those lines are a common problem as they were evident on the latter half of the roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I buy out of date film because I collect old and decrepit cameras. Currently when I get a 'new' camera I stick a roll of Fortepan 400, circa 1983, through it first. This is good enough to tell me if the shutter is working, if the speeds are reasonably consistant, if I have light leeks, if the transport mechanism is working, etc.

If all is well I chuck it away and stick a proper film in

The only other time I'd use out of date film is if it is something exotic and out of production. I have some Konica Infrared left in the fridge - just waiting for the right light and free time to use it all up before it dies...

If money is an issue, better to buy fresh budget film (Adox, Foma or the new Kentmere, maybe) than out of date top brand stuf, IMHO.

After all, if you spend valuable time and learn to get exactly what you want out of that old film - when it's gone you will have to start all over again with a different batch of film. You want your hard earned experience to be be useable in the future!
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tend to buy my film in a large batch (all the same emulsion) and freeze it. By the time I use it up it generally is a year or so out of date. I haven't had any problems with it.

I may have bought to much HP5 in 4x5 on the last buy, I'm sure it is going to go past a year out of date before I use it up. Guess I didn't realize how long 600 sheets would last me. Tri-X in 120 I tend to buy 200 rolls at a time.

Color 120 I buy outdated in the 160asa speed range, but don't care about brand. I just use 120 color for snaps.

Boils down to I haven't had any problems with outdated film, if I buy it new and freeze it.

Mike

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by maajka View Post
    But compared to the new HP5 the film base is darker. Not very dark, but visibly darker when the negatives are compared.
    I suggest that the first thing is not to worry yourself by comparing base fog and/or film base colours! There are so many variables in the darkroom processes that the presence or absence of a little bit of fog (that you only seem to be aware of because of a comparison with newer stock) is probably neither here nor there. The success or failure of the finished product depends on many far more important things, not least what we point our cameras at!

Best wishes,
    Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin