Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,918   Posts: 1,556,419   Online: 1169

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expired HP5

Shooter
    35mm

Expired HP5

Hi, I'm new to the photography and the forum. It was nice to discover a forum dedicated completely to analog photography, I was never really drawn to digital. Now to the question.

I bought some expired HP5, according to the owner it's 5-6 years old. It wasn't stored in a fridge but he said that it was never exposed to high heat either.
    I shot several rolls and it seems to be fairly OK. I made a few prints and I didn;t notice any weird anomalies, like lines that I saw on some expired HP5 on flickr. But compared to the new HP5 the film base is darker. Not very dark, but visibly darker when the negatives are compared. I'm not sure if Ilford changed the emulsion or if it is the age of the film. The casettes look different from the new ones.

I develop with D76 1:1 at 11 minutes. Should I compansate somehow when developing, different dillution, longer/shorter times, because of the darker base?

Cheers

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm sure it's just fogged slightly due to age. There are chemicals that people add to developers to suppress fogging, but I don't remember what they are.
    f/22 and be there.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    perhaps it is just some fog, and if it isn't too serious you an just print through the fog.

i would wait to print the negatives before adjusting times.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could rate it at 320 to give more of an edge.
    Last edited by Mike Kennedy; 06-12-2009 at 11:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    If its age is of interest, contact Ilford via its website and state the numbers on the cassette. Ilford will be able to give the manufacture date and if you mention the darker base, it might be able to say if there was any change which might account for this but I suspect that in the last 5 years or so there probably hasn't been any change.

I can't recall the date when HP5 became HP5+ but if your film is HP5 and not HP5+ then this might well explain the difference in base. HP5+ is a better film than HP5.

pentaxuser

I am not trying to be sarcastic or critical, but was the savings in the price of the expired film worth the effort that you are now expending? I often see expired film advertised at a savings. However, when one factors in the uncertainty of results obtained with expired film, and the additional means that might be needed to achieve results that one finds acceptable, one wonders if the savings add up.

Ed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    I am not trying to be sarcastic or critical, but...when one factors in the uncertainty of results obtained with expired film, and the additional means that might be needed to achieve results that one finds acceptable, one wonders if the savings add up....
    My thoughts exactly, Ed. Film is cheap compared to the effort expended in meaningfully exposing it.

But to answer the question: isn't the anti-fog additive in question benzotriazole?

Or perhaps just use HC-110 after shooting at EI 200-250, as it is said to be a fog-restraining developer by nature.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's probably almost as good as new. Just try it. Maybe do a clip test... snip off a bit and develop it and see if you 'd like it a bit more contrasty. But VC/MG papers and filters will probably help you out.

I agree somewhat with Ed that fresh film is going to be the most reliable and is probably worth the cost but on the other hand, I've got some quite nice results with expired films (panatomic x, tech pan), results that I wouldn't even know how to get with the fresh films that are still available. And one thing I very rarely see with any of my (traditional grain) b&w films is too little contrast. More often I have too much, really.

There is always benzotriazole.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Not worth it Keith....buy new and up to date HP5...no added chemicals needed, and no uncertainties...why worry and struggle with benzotriazole unless one enjoys the process of making such projects work.

Just my opinion of course...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I buy expired film ONLY if its dirt cheap--less than half price--to have extra film to teach the neighborhood kids with. I have several p&s cams that I let the local urchins(my daughters friends) shoot with. We then spend an afternoon in the darkroom printing(after I develope) the negs. The kids LEARN some things, and stay out of trouble in the process(pun intended).
    Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin