Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,427   Online: 1055

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    Actually, I'd buy 5 1L jugs (the Photographer's Formulary sells brown glass bottles that are cheap and ideal) and stay away from soda bottles.

If you're wondering why you get those great deals on soda at the supermarket it's because it has a limited shelf life before it goes flat. And the reason it goes flat is the gas permeability of plastic soda bottles (which, after all, are designed to be blow-molded at minimal expense)

That same gas permeability does your developer's shelf life no favors.

I use soda bottles, and find they keep developer extremely fresh. Obviously I fill them to the top when possible, but also squeeze the bottle when half full or so. Over a period of months, I don't find much deterioration. I'm a little more casual with Dektol than D-76, so as to not screw up negatives.
    --Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8300: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Another vote for XTOL for these films. I use all of these films and also XTOL, which I have really come around on. Since I started the thread "What's so great about XTOL" I have really started to like using it at 1+3. Eventually I'd like to try replenishing it.

TMY-2 shot at 400 and souped in XTOL 1+3 is wonderful to me.
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    But, as has been the case wiith a lot of Crawley's formulations, shelf-life was a problem. FX-50 has been, AFAIK, discontinued.
    I tried FX-50 when it was available from Paterson about five years ago and, once the bottles had been opened, it went off in about a week (yes, you read that right!). In my view it was a bit mad to make a commercial product that was so unreliable.

I like the other Paterson (Crawley-forumulated) Aculux and FX-39 developers, however, which you can order directly from their web site:
    patersonphotographic.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin