Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,931   Posts: 1,522,189   Online: 1111

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

ADOX/EFKE 50 and PMK

So this has been asked before here on APUG and I haven't seen any feedback. Does anyone have a starting point for ADOX or EFKE 50 speed film with PMK Pyro.
    Also, will over exposing will actually hurt the film as the info from Efke/ADOX suggests. I expose for my shadows with a spot meter, for Tgrain TMAX 100 at 80, but with a non Tgrain film TRIX 320 I shoot at 320. In either case, I am still over exposing. Thanks ahead of time for any input.

Nick

Shooter
    Large Format
    All of the literature I've seen on these films says "do not overexpose." Unlike everything else, I rate them at their given speeds. I have experimented with rating them at double their speeds and push processing, but I don't like the results.

I have developed Efke PL 50 in PMK, and if I remember correctly, I used 10 minutes as my starting time for sheet film processed in a dip and dunk system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From my somewhat limited experience with Adox CHS 100 - and with the caveat that I was using the reflective meter on my Rolleiflex - I have found that exposure latitude is somewhat unforgiving. It is easy to blow out the highlights in contrasty scenes. I would imagine that this might be more pronounced in the 50 iso film. I am sure most of this is pilot error and that a more skilled photographer can avoid/control this. It is worth it as the film has a really great look.

edit / update: This morning I have just been working negatives from the same film, 100 iso, in 35mm. They were shot with a rangefinder with a TTL "spotish" meter so it was much easier to set exposure. The results were the same as with the TLR: very unforgiving in scenes with a lot of contrast. Again, I think this can be better controlled. These are the first few rolls of this film I have used and I have not gotten it down yet -- going forward I will set the exposure a little differently and develop longer.
    Last edited by mhanc; 06-14-2009 at 06:55 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: additional info

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks. I'll just shoot at 50 and do some testing starting at 10min and see where I land.

Nick

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin