Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,900   Online: 1150

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    True, but only if you don't have enough developer for a full 80 square inches in the first place.
    Since my tests with 8 films were conducted with the developer volume recommended by Kodak (28cc Tmax per 8x10) and Agfa (10cc Rodinal per 8x10) I think it is more related to the "equivalent processing volume" for a 6 inch strip not being enough to cover the film when on a reel in the tank. Therefore the smaller strip is in relatively more developer.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 06-14-2009 at 06:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by harrygrey382 View Post
    Well, I've finally found something I can't answer by searching this incredibly detailed site.
    I've just got 10 rolls of Adox CMS 20 from silverprint (nice shop), and I want to find my development time for the 20asa raiting. I've shot a test roll, and am wondering if I can cut it into three lengths (1/3 total length each) as best I can in the dark, and develop each of them with a different time? This would be to conserve film.
    I'm thinking also, can I re-use the same developer (the special adotech stuff at 1+24) for the 3 1/3 lengths? I know this would end up in total the same as a full film, but would it be acting significantly weaker for the 2nd and 3rd test strips?
    Thanks for any suggestions
    Yes and no. You can snip the film, to be sure; but use fresh developer for each test snippet in order to get consistent results. If you leave the leader out (or retrieve it) you can take out what you need for each test, so there is not need to do it all at one time. Good luck.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    What size tank do you have? How much working solution will you be mixing? Any rolls I know of these days would be 2.5 inches wide and the reels would be covered by 16 oz.
    The OP is talking about 35mm whereas your reply seems to be about 120 rolls. Assuming your reply is aimed at 120 rolls and not 35mm what differences would there be in your advice on 35mm?

pentaxuser

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    The OP is talking about 35mm whereas your reply seems to be about 120 rolls. Assuming your reply is aimed at 120 rolls and not 35mm what differences would there be in your advice on 35mm?

pentaxuser
    The total area of a 120 roll is the same (close enough for government work) as that of a 35 mm roll. That is what counts.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    35mm
    What size tank do you have? How much working solution will you be mixing? Any rolls I know of these days would be 2.5 inches wide and the reels would be covered by 16 oz. I have a Pattersen tank that holds 3 reels of 120 film and takes a liter to fill. I think if that's about what you have, you're worrying too much IMO. The most damage to the developer would be from aeration due to pouring back and forth. Leave the developer in the tank and dip-and-drain the reels individually for the test periods. Drop each developed reel into a pot, tank or other appropriate vessel of fixer without rinsing. That's a long time in the dark, but you'll know your way around when you are done. You'll also see even the tiniest light leak.

The total area of a 120 roll is the same (close enough for government work) as that of a 35 mm roll. That is what counts.
    I use a Paterson system 4 that takes a max of two rolls. It states 10oz per roll. 10oz covers one roll (I guess haven't checked), so we're talking 290ml for the tank. 20oz/580ml in the tank would defeat my stingy aim of only using one shot of developer. Do you still think what you said aboutthe pouring having the most effect? I like the idea of doing it that way - after dropping the first one in fixer I could turn the light on while agitating could I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Yes and no. You can snip the film, to be sure; but use fresh developer for each test snippet in order to get consistent results. If you leave the leader out (or retrieve it) you can take out what you need for each test, so there is not need to do it all at one time. Good luck.
    OK, so this contradicts gainer... I guess it's safer though. What about developing two together, and pulling one out in the dark early and dumping it in stop, then agitagite the other, then fix the first etc.?

I'm waiting for some IPA to come in for my final rinse before I do more developing to try and solve the mysterious dirty neg saga that's making me pull my hair out, see why people would go digital and just put me in a constant bad mood. I may start another thread on that subject though later (yes I've searched big time, and followed all advice)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by harrygrey382 View Post
    I'm waiting for some IPA to come in for my final rinse before I do more developing
    As you're in Norwich would the IPA be Greene King?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    As you're in Norwich would the IPA be Greene King?

pentaxuser
    Did have one of those a couple of days a go (normally more of a plain pale ale fan myself). In this case I'm talking about iso-propyl alcohol though!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin