Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,667   Online: 1222

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Sacrifice 10 frames of one roll shooting a grey card at noon, bracketing +5 and -5 stops or their increments and then develop the roll accordingly with the manufacturer (film) instructions.

That's the only way to fine tune the personal EI based on what you're going to do with the negatives, either scanning it or printing it diffusion versus condenser head, etc...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Rodinal 1+100 for 17 minutes when exposed at EI25.

When I've used the taco method in a 120 tank, and agitated by inverting the tank, I'd do 5 gentle inversions at the start of each minute, then one inversion every three minutes. I use the same dilution, timings and method for Efke R25 (120).

In the Paterson Orbital, I find PC-TEA works well too.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Try Beutler at EI-40 for 16m semi-stand. Works well.
    Murray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use Efke25 and Rodinal 1:25 as per the Massive Dev Chart in tanks and rollers. Never had a problem with too much contrast. I'm guessing it was exposed incorrectly, definitely do some tests and don't give up, it's a wonderful film that deserves to be used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Beutler E.I. 25-32 and Rodinal E.I. 25 are both very good fitting developers for the Efke 25 film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Funny thing, today i tested R25 in HC110 dillution G in 15 minutes at 20 degree celsius. Right now the film is drying but i will try upload some frames when scanned.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adam h View Post
    I'm new to developing film. I just developed my first sheet of 4X5 film, last week-TMAX 100 in Rodinal. I was surprised that the negatives came out ok (actually, that they came out, at all.)

I use a Yankee Tank, and shoot only 4X5. My issue is that I just tried to develop 4X5 Efke 25, and the results were terrible. WAY to contrasy-to the point that I couldn't make prints from them. I used Rodinal 1 +50 for 8 minutes (per the digital truth site.) I was really disappointed. How to I develop Efke 25 in 4X5, and get good negatives that aren't so contrasy?

Thank you.

Adam
    That's interesting Adam. I use the same tank, same film, but my Rodinal is 1:50 for 10min @ 20˚C. I generally just use my experience for a light meter, but it could be your shutter or aperture is having issues.

Last year I switched to Ektar lenses (a Tessar clone) and have been happier ever since. How are you agitating?
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We process allot of EFKE film, likely more of it than any lab in the US.

About 75% is for positive dr5 processing. all the EFKE films do very well in our process; http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...6&ppuser=17909

The E25 has no contrast issues unless you push past 25iso [in dr5].

As a negative, we either use D23-modified or DD-x. Both control the contrast in the negative.

regards

dw
    Last edited by dr5chrome; 06-22-2009 at 05:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Let's not make this more complicated than it is

Adam,

Carefully consider this before you do anything else.

You can do this successfully with the materials you have. If you have too much contrast, you developed for too long or agitated too much. That's mainly what determines your negative contrast.

1. Are you happy with the shadow detail? Yes - keep exposing the film at the same Exposure Index (EI). No - increase or decrease exposure until you have enough shadow detail. You may have to sacrifice a sheet or two to get there.

2. Now for your midtones and highlights - change your development time until you have contrast in your negatives that is printable.

No other developer is going to magically get you great negatives if you fail to understand the dynamic above first. Continue to use Rodinal, which is a fine developer for this and any other film.

All it takes is a little bit of practice. But it does take a little bit of experimentation when you start using a new type of film - changing around is something you want to do as little as possible when you're starting out.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by adam h View Post
    I'm new to developing film. I just developed my first sheet of 4X5 film, last week-TMAX 100 in Rodinal. I was surprised that the negatives came out ok (actually, that they came out, at all.)

I use a Yankee Tank, and shoot only 4X5. My issue is that I just tried to develop 4X5 Efke 25, and the results were terrible. WAY to contrasy-to the point that I couldn't make prints from them. I used Rodinal 1 +50 for 8 minutes (per the digital truth site.) I was really disappointed. How to I develop Efke 25 in 4X5, and get good negatives that aren't so contrasy?

Thank you.

Adam
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by J Rollinger View Post
    John

Did you use a semi-stand? What was your agitation cycle for the 15 minutes?
    A semi-stand for me is a two-legged tripod. I use standard ASA agitation.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin