Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,891   Online: 980

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

efke 25 development

I'm new to developing film. I just developed my first sheet of 4X5 film, last week-TMAX 100 in Rodinal. I was surprised that the negatives came out ok (actually, that they came out, at all.)

I use a Yankee Tank, and shoot only 4X5. My issue is that I just tried to develop 4X5 Efke 25, and the results were terrible. WAY to contrasy-to the point that I couldn't make prints from them. I used Rodinal 1 +50 for 8 minutes (per the digital truth site.) I was really disappointed. How to I develop Efke 25 in 4X5, and get good negatives that aren't so contrasy?

Thank you.

Adam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have had success with two developers and efke 25: wd2d+ (a pyro formula) and POTA. The latter is one-shot and probably too inconvenient for your purposes but keep it in mind if you need extreme range. I've also gotten acceptable results in ID11 1+1 but I think the wd2d+ negs were the easiest to print overall.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    What do you think caused the excessive contrast?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It is very contrasty film and rodinal at 1+50 is probably not compensating enough for you.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adam h View Post
    What do you think caused the excessive contrast?
    This film builts up contrast fast. My notes for the old Adox R-14 (now EFKE 25) indicate Rodinal 1+ 100, 15 minutes, 68 F, for printing with a diffusion enlarger. That should put you well in the ball park with 4x5.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    This film builts up contrast fast. My notes for the old Adox R-14 (now EFKE 25) indicate Rodinal 1+ 100, 15 minutes, 68 F, for printing with a diffusion enlarger. That should put you well in the ball park with 4x5.
    John

Did you use a semi-stand? What was your agitation cycle for the 15 minutes?

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I tried to develop Efke PL25 9x12 (20 ASA) in a CombiPlan tank with Rodinal 1+100 at 20ºC for 17 minutes, two inversions every half minute, and got soft negatives. I will try 20 minutes the next time.

So you CAN get soft/normal contrast with Efke 25. You'll just have to find the developing method that works for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Over the years I've used Adox KB14 (DIN), now called Adox KB25 (ISO) as well as R25 & PL25 in Rodinal at 1+37.5 (2+75) and 1+50 with excellent results, I've always used the film (since the 70's) at 50 EI.

Now I process my 10x8 PL25 in Pyrocat HD at 2+2+100 for 9 minutes, I've never really noticed it to be a particularly contrasty film, but it shouldn't be over-exposed. I always treat it almost exactly like Tmax100, same 50 EI and Dev times abd it gives similar tonality.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by adam h View Post
    I used Rodinal 1 +50 for 8 minutes (per the digital truth site.) I was really disappointed. How to I develop Efke 25 in 4X5, and get good negatives that aren't so contrasy?
    Adam
    Hi Adam,

Try to expose it at EI12 and develop in Rodinal 1+100 at 20 degree C for 9 minutes, agitate gently for 10 seconds on each minute. Use it as a starting point for diffusion light enlarger or reduce development for about 10% for condense light enlarger.
    As always it all depends on light and subject when you were shooting, what are you trying to accomplish and have in mind that Efke25 is less sensitive in red spectrum so increase exposure time if shooting in warm light like sunset or tungsten lighting.

Pozdrav,
    Zvonimir

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zvonimir Ervacic View Post
    Hi Adam,

Try to expose it at EI12 and develop in Rodinal 1+100 at 20 degree C for 9 minutes, agitate gently for 10 seconds on each minute. Use it as a starting point for diffusion light enlarger or reduce development for about 10% for condense light enlarger.
    As always it all depends on light and subject when you were shooting, what are you trying to accomplish and have in mind that Efke25 is less sensitive in red spectrum so increase exposure time if shooting in warm light like sunset or tungsten lighting.

Pozdrav,
    Zvonimir
    Adox/EFKE films are quite different to other manufacturers films in that the stated box speed is still more akin to the early ASA system with it's built in margin, this was removed in 1960/61 when all films speeds were effectively doubled except for ADOX KB14, 17 & 21, and the R - roll film & PL cut film sizes. The UK importer in the 80's& 90's recommended KB25 be used at 50 ISO, which nmatched closely my own tests.

So be careful exposing at 12 EI under normal conditions, it's not recommended and it's no c-incidence that EFKE themselves warn about over-exposure.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin