Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,954   Posts: 1,586,008   Online: 694

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    They are fun to play with, not any more effective than other bottles at storing chemistry.

Images
    I have one somewhere. There's a limit as to how far they can be collapsed. Mine kept leaking. I thought of joining it with a tin flute to make a sort of bagpipe, but it leaked too bad for that. I'd rather use marbles.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to have a few, I ended up throwing them away years ago. They are porous (or at least mine were) so over time they expanded and let air in, and has been said above they were very difficult to keep clean. I now use 500ml beer and and 1l wine bottles with a Vacuvin Wine Saver which works very well. I get to drink the contents first as well, which is a bonus!
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Several years ago I was researching bottles for storage and discovered that for photographic chemicals about the most stable option was just plain 2L pop bottles. I remove the labels, clean them thouroughly, place my own gaudy hazmat labels all over them and just use them. It's easy to squeeze the air out.

I replace mine about every year because when squeezing them, wrinkles can eventually spring leaks. My bottles ALWAYS sit in empty processing trays in case (when) one decides to leak.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the replies.

I'll skip on them for now, seems they can cause more problems than they solve. Seemed like a great idea at the time
    Pete

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Smart move 'cause those accordion bottles are really crap. The soda pop bottles seem to be the best compromise of cost and effectiveness. I use 1L and smaller sizes for developers. They're pretty much air tight, and plenty good enough for the amount of time a developer can be stored. Stuff like D-76 can start to go bad after 6 months even in completely full and perfectly stoppered glass bottles. I get the same thing from a 1L soda bottle so go figure.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteZ8 View Post
    The only reason I've heard against using the collapsable bottles is they don't clean out as well. I have no idea how true that is,
    It's true, they are a huge pain in the rear to clean. I stopped using them for that reason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to use these because I read somehwere they they were good; you could squeeze the air out of them and your chems would last longer. While you can squeeze the air out of them, the plastic that they are made of breathes and lets air in that way. If you use them for the developer (the chem that readily oxidizes anyway) , they will eventually show black crud on the inside. This is oxydized developer.

Besides the "joints" wear out and then leak.

I like to use glass. Yes, it can break, but glass never wears out and is not air permeable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Since this thread is still getting some attention, I also have welding equipment and as such, stocks of various gasses.

How about a noble gas in the bottle? Argon perhaps (pure argon, not the CO2/argon mix for MIG)? It's heavier than air and will displace it handily. Not that I would likely go that far but for discussion purposes it's an interesting thought. Unless I find myself with more time on my hands (in this economy, I might!), I really do very little darkroom printing and I would hate to waste chemistry. I may stockpile a bunch of film then do 30-40 prints, then not get to the darkroom for a month or more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used them until I collapsed one down to just above the fluid level then gently (and I do mean gently) pressed down to remove the air in the headspace. The face full of TF-4 I got made the switch to amber glass bottles easy...

Ash

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin