Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,219   Online: 975

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use argon and fizzy-pop bottles. As said above they make good storage for developers - I have had ID-11 stock in a full pop bottle for 14 months (I forgot about it!) with no detectable colour change or loss of effectiveness.

Threw my accordion bottles out years ago - total rubbish for all the reasons stated above...

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The accordion bottles looked like a great idea but apparently he plastic allows air in, the lids don't seal well so I have given up using them. If made of the right, impermeable plastic with a really good lid, they would be great. However. . .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Perhaps you could re-use a bag-in-box wine dispensing system. The bags have a layer of metal foil, to reduce gas diffusion through the membrane.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Interesting Larry! I love repurposing things, not only is it the most efficient form of recycling in the world, but it's cheap!

The downside is until they come out with beer-in-a-box, I'll never get my hands on a wine box!

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I purchased some accordion bottles before I found this group. The large ones are very awkward and the ones I got lids don't seal well. The smaller ones I got had better lids and are working good right now. I was wondering if all the chems have to be in brown bottles or if it is okay to put some in clear or green wine bottles? Right now I have my indicator stop in a water bottle because I was out of brown bottles? Is this okay? My chems are all in my darkroom which is in the basement and usually dark. Just wondering!
    Lori

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am reliably informed (and experience agrees) that of developer, stop and fixer, the only one that needs protection from oxygen is the developer so save your best for that; the rest can go in any old bottle you have lying around. However, the accordion bottles are made of a somewhat oxygen-porous plastic compared to the fizzy-pop bottles so my advice would be to use pop bottles for developer and restrict the accordion bottles for use with stop (which after all is only a weak acid) and fixer.

I keep developer in the pop bottles in a cupboard so it is out of direct lighting but I am not sure how important that is - probably not very I suspect as developer is usually supplied in clear or white translucent bottles by the manufacturer...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm surprised this one hasn't been mentioned yet! Glass (or plastic) bottles and use glass marbles to take up air space.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Swindles View Post
    I'm surprised this one hasn't been mentioned yet! Glass (or plastic) bottles and use glass marbles to take up air space.
    Marbles in glass or plastic one gallon bottles get real heavy and hard to handle.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just picked up this thread and after reading all the posts I feel like I should trash all my 'Used for 10years with no problems accordian bottles' !!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I also use them as they came with my first dakroom gear but have bought new ones as well.
    I am not sure how long does a chemical inside of them suppose to keep, but I have used different ones after months with no apparent exhaustion. Well, at least one that I can blame specifically on the bottle and not just the months passed in a non regulated environment. Can you keep chemicals in glass bottles for years with no deterioration? I imagine not.
    I would have liked some hard info on the matter. Considering I have to order my most "exotic" chems (such as toners) I would have like to be able to keep them longer when I mix them. I mean, how much can I use a red or blue toner for?
    Only developer I have found for it to last no more than a few days, all the others, even fixer checked with hypo checker, still work fine for much longer.
    But yes, they are hard to completely clean, the fixer leaves residue and they are not perfectly airtight.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin