Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,289   Online: 916

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've tried the accordion bottles. Though I didn't have any problems with sealing, I found them very awkward to use.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu View Post
    NOT so. Search Google for Boston Rounds. Clear or amber,
    wide and narrow mouth, and a selection of caps. They are
    not expensive. The Polyseal or Polycone caps must
    provide a best seal.

Although they are specified in ounce sizes, all but the 1oz hold
    some multiple of 1/16 liter; so 62.5ml, 125ml, etc. Dan
    I think this refers to free pharmacy bottles. I ended up buying several hundred (don't ask why) smaller wide mouth Boston rounds and did get some larger ones free from a friend who is in charge of a local University chemistry dept. Problem with these is how to clean them out.

I have run ads here for the smaller bottles here and have sold a bunch. Most of the cost was postage. Still have a few hundred if anyone want any. I plan to mix developer and fill to the brim (no gas or marbles needed) and use one shot.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had accordian bottles leak and I have had to take them back to FreeStyle. Some of the bottles have worked well.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhead View Post
    Or you could use brown beer bottles as well--the big European ones with stoppers attached. That way you can store your chemistry and have a good old time before you get in the darkroom too
    That's usually the first chemical to get opened in the darkroom

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Has anyone else had the delightful experience of spilling all those wonderful marbles on the floor and then trying to explain to the orthopedic people why in the world you did that?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RJS View Post
    Has anyone else had the delightful experience of spilling all those wonderful marbles on the floor and then trying to explain to the orthopedic people why in the world you did that?
    I've had enough people tell me I've lost my marbles over the years that the doctors would just be happy I found them!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pete -

In general, I don't bother with accordion bottles.

The theory behind accordion bottles is that some chemicals (especially developers) will oxydize when left in contact with air, and an accordion bottle allows you to squeeze much of the air and minimize that problem.

For the last few years I've been using liquid concentrate in one quart bottles - they don't come in accordion bottles and seem to last reasonably well as long as I keep up a reasonable rhythm of darkroom work. By the way, the plastic that is used to make the bottles that concentrates come in is much heavier than the plastic used to make accordion bottles. That tells you something.

I think there would be more of a problem with working solutions, but my approach is to use those as one-shot solutions.

By the way, if you think that you have a problem with oxidation, there are three other tricks that you can consider. One is to squirt the gas that is used to prevent oxidation of wine into the bottle before closing it. Another trick is to simply drop glass marbles into the bottle to displace volume. And if you are concerned about oxidation, you need to store the solution in a glass bottle rather than plastic.
    Louie

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin