Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,954   Posts: 1,522,799   Online: 964

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Accordian bottles?

Anyone have a good source for air free (collapsable) storage bottles? I can't seem to find them anywhere perhaps I'm just using the wrong keywords?

Pete

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was recommended against using them in my early days (But for the life of me I dont remember what the reasoning actually was), but I know freestyle photo stock them, under the Air-Evac brand. Where in the world are you located?
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could have mine for free but they are in the UK, and I'm in Turkey

I really don't recommend them, mine (Jobo type) came with a job lot of darkroom gear I bought in 2000, I can't see any particular benefits over regular bottles for the solutions I store.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FreeStyle has them. They also are a sponsor here.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the links.

I don't use the darkroom frequently and I wanted some for storing paper developer and possibly C-41 chemicals to try and extend the life a little.

Since posting this thread I also found this company: http://www.2spi.com/catalog/photo/air-evac.shtml Does anyone have experience buying from them? Nothing against the forum sponsor but they are half the price from 2spi and when ordering a half dozen or so the difference adds up quick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    C41 chemistry has a very limited life once made up, so it's best to process in batches.

At those prices just take a chance

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleath View Post
    I was recommended against using them in my early days (But for the life of me I dont remember what the reasoning actually was), but I know freestyle photo stock them, under the Air-Evac brand. Where in the world are you located?
    Thanks I'll add them to the list.

The only reason I've heard against using the collapsable bottles is they don't clean out as well. I have no idea how true that is, I would imagine some hot water and agitation would get it clean enough if the tank is not being reused for a different chemical (which I would never do anyway).

Edit: I'm in Central NJ, USA. I thought it was in my profile I'll update thanks!
    Last edited by PeteZ8; 06-17-2009 at 11:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just tried to cash out at SPI, $50 minimum order

I don't need that many.

Thanks for all the replies! I'll check out Freestyle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need to mark them very well, fixer doesn't wash out very well as you get plating on the sides and sulphurising. My problem was the tops are always very good and didn't seal properly.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I thought they seemed like a good idea until I saw that they were made out of thin HDPE. I think glass would be better, even with the extra air space. Just my opinion. Also you can squeeze PET bottles to get pretty much all the air out of them, but then they don't stand up very well.
    f/22 and be there.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin