Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,102   Online: 1231

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    When I used that film, which was 20some years ago before they discontinued it in 4x5, I would process it in Rodinal 1-100 and get just amazing mid tones. To use it you have to be open to seeing different results from your work.
    Dennis
    APX25 was never produced in sheet film sizes, I would have used it if it was, I never saw its predecessor AP25 in sheet film either. I used APX25 in a 6x9 back alongside 5x4 APX100 with my Wista and the two films were very closely matched with regards to contrast & tonality. I stopped using APX100 when the sheet film was discontinued.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think Paul Schmidt's advice above is very sound. At the money this film is selling for, you could get gobs of your favorite film instead. It is very special and precious film, if you like its qualities. But it's not made anymore, so why bother? You can't get any more when you're done with it. God forbid you actually started liking it! Use this opportunity before you get the bug, and buy Neo 400 instead and go make photographs the way you like them.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    I just saw that Panatomic X auction. That's some serious money!
    I have a bulk loader full of Panatomic X I got from my grandfather... I'm afraid to use it... Might as well put it in my will...
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I actually had AP25 in 4x5, two boxes of it, grossly outdated. But it did indeed exist. No real benefit over the 100, though, as that in itself already is exceptionally fine grained.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    APX25 was never produced in sheet film sizes, I would have used it if it was, I never saw its predecessor AP25 in sheet film either. I used APX25 in a 6x9 back alongside 5x4 APX100 with my Wista and the two films were very closely matched with regards to contrast & tonality. I stopped using APX100 when the sheet film was discontinued.

Ian
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    APX 25 was in 8x10 as well. Brett Weston was a known user. I used the APX 100 in 8x10 as the 25 was too slow. In my system I shot the 25 at 12.
    Dennis

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It actually wasn't so long ago that it was on the shelf in sheets. At least till 1985. If you still had a box with that kind of dating I would think it might still be good. If I remember right the APX25 notch was just one half moon.
    Dennis

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    I just saw that Panatomic X auction. That's some serious money!
    I have another brick I am going to put on when that auction ends. Either that or offer it to the buyer. Unless someone on APUG wants it for a similar price.
    Dennis

Shooter
    35mm
    I think ebay might be the best bet for this film, although I may test the water by offering them for trade here first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dennis/Thomas, APX25 wasn't manufactured in 1985 (or before), I think the confusion is between AP25 and the newer emulsion APX25. By the time I switched to Agfa films in 1986 AP25 was not available in sheet sizes, hence the reason I never saw it. When APX25 was introduce in the late 80's or maybe 1990 it was only ever available as 35mm & 120.

The AP25 and AP100 emulsions were excellent and the later APX versions even better.

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Oh well you might be right about the X part, but agfa 25 was my film of choice in 4x5 till it got discontinued around the same time that Agfa changed the portriga rapid formula which also rocked my world. Actually as I remember the film was discontinued first and I switched to the brand new Tmax 100 and just got comfortable with that when the Portriga paper changed and I was pissed to no end. Which is why I became a platinum printer... to get more control over the materials. I don't know what the X refers to in the APX but I was only referencing Agfa 25.
    Dennis

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin