Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,326   Posts: 1,536,946   Online: 1207

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    OK I just dug up one of my empty film boxes and it is Orange striped label that says Agfa Pan 25 and is fresh dated to July 1990.
    Cheers
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The X in APX25 & APX100 designated them as newer technology films, much later the X was added to APX400 but this was still older technology & the name was changed to match the range of Agfa B&W films.

APX100 was always as good as Tmax100 (if not better) while having a true effective 100 EI, while Tmax100 needed to be used at 50 EI to get similar results. I stopped using Agfa films when they discontinued APX100 sheet film.

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have quite a bit of APX 100 in 120 in the freezer and I have used it side by side with Tmax 100 a lot of times and they are indeed very comparable. In my Beutlers process they both end up with finer grain than Acros or Delta 100 or even Pan F. The reason I have switched to ACROS and Tmax 100 is reciprocity.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This discussion makes me think of the 'old' days when all I used was APX 100 & Rodinal, along with the odd roll of Tmax 100. Then when Agfa bellied up I switched to Ilford FP4+ & Pyrocat, then I started using Tri-X because I took a liking to grain. Then Tri-X in Edwal 12 and Xtol, and now it's Tmax 400 & Xtol. The latest combination I've only used for a while, but it gets me the fine grain of the past, the reciprocity of Tmax 100 (almost, and two stops faster), and tonality that I love.
    Unless something becomes unavailable, I will look no further. But the APX films were exceptional indeed. And I would not have switched from it had they not gone under.

To the OP - Keep shooting Neopan 400 if that's what you like and what you're used to. It's fun to experiment once in a while, but it's always best to keep things consistent. You vision and your technique are much more important than the film.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have another brick I am going to put on when that auction ends. Either that or offer it to the buyer. Unless someone on APUG wants it for a similar price.
    I feel ill, my day is ruined.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll swap you 10 rolls of APX400 for the rest of your APX25 -- My film is fresh!!!!!! Really PM me!!!!
    Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung 2700: SAMSUNG-B2700/XBIB2 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.4 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.0 configuration/CLDC-1.1)

This goes to bit OT, but i was fan of APX25 at 120 size until the end of agfa bw films.

Now, many years later i still miss the tonality thau APX25 gave with rodinal 1+100.

Now I am looking for a film with similar charasteric for 120 and 4x5.

Any good suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Usagi View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung 2700: SAMSUNG-B2700/XBIB2 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.4 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.0 configuration/CLDC-1.1)

This goes to bit OT, but i was fan of APX25 at 120 size until the end of agfa bw films.

Now, many years later i still miss the tonality thau APX25 gave with rodinal 1+100.

Now I am looking for a film with similar charasteric for 120 and 4x5.

Any good suggestions?

Efke 25 is a film I really liked, but it's plagued with QC problems; at least the 10-20 rolls I shot. I got some great looking negs in Rodinal and Pyrocat HD, but you have to take 2-3 shots of each photo to make sure you get one frame that is without problems.

Ilford makes Pan-F which is an ISO 50 film. The QC at Ilford is great and this film is great, although it may take you several rolls to get your EI and processing routine set.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    +1 for Pan-F.

I get great results in Rodinal 1:50. Ilford's quality-control is indeed first rate.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The thing with Pan-F and other similar style films is that while they may also deliver fine grain, they are dissimilar on one distinct quality of the entire APX line of films: TONALITY.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin