Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,552   Posts: 1,573,135   Online: 754

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

APX25: is this film wasted on me?

Last year I obtained 30 rolls of 35mm APX25, expired 2004. I'd read a lot about this film and many hold it in high regard so I thought I'd be stupid to pass the opportunity, but I've been quite underwhelmed.

Should I learn to love this film or trade it on?

I normally shoot Neopan 400, I like grain and contrast - I print 5"x7" on grade 4.

I shot a test roll of APX25 a few months back on a sunny afternoon walking down a local country lane and developed it in HC-110 for whatever time the massive dev chart recommended. The film is functionally fine, but for me, quite boring.

I found it difficult to print with much contrast, there's practically no grain at all at 5x7 and without a tripod DoF becomes an issue.

What does this film excel at?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It excels at exceptional fine grain, great sharpness/definition & wonderful smooth tonality. I used 120 APX25 in a 6x9 roll film back with my Wista and the enlargements are superb.

If your only making small prints & want grain it definitely isn't the film for you, try sticking your camera on a tripod, stop down & use slower shutter speeds and the mirror lock (if the camera has one( and then make large prints that's when APX25 excels.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    APX25: Is this film wasted on me?

Yes indeed....send it all to me! Seriously, APX25 is great stuff, slow down as Ian suggests and enjoy the results. It is a world away from Neopan, great tonality, get some Rodinal and see if it works for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Send me some just a roll I'm not greedy- I loved it. Like others have said it was a very fine grained film with excellent tone, sometimes I think no other slow film has the tonality they all seem to be quite restricted in that area even with low activity developers.
    (to be said in a husky voice) Probably the best slow film in the world....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It excels in the areas in which you described. It's very low grain, contrasty and you need a tripod. That's just what it was made for. It isn't your style and that's fine.

Yesterday there was a thread where a poster said he liked Recording Film in Rodinal. That would be the last combo I would ever use, but to each his own.

Depart with your APX 25. Sell it to someone who will love it. You will have no trouble selling it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Antony View Post
    Send me some just a roll I'm not greedy- I loved it.
    Here's the problem, lots of people love this film but at the moment I don't. Every roll I experiment with could have been a roll that someone else would really appreciate having...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I understand the issue, I would probably sell it myself, and I am not interested in buying it. I actually REALLY wish this stuff was still being made, I would definitely get some to try out, but with 30 rolls I would feel like I was just getting it figured out when I ran out of the stuff. I sold all of my APX 100 once that was gone and moved on rather quickly then, would probably just do the same here.
    Last edited by Paul Sorensen; 06-18-2009 at 07:46 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarity

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Last year I obtained 30 rolls of 35mm APX25, expired 2004. I'd read a lot about this film and many hold it in high regard so I thought I'd be stupid to pass the opportunity, but I've been quite underwhelmed.

Should I learn to love this film or trade it on?

I normally shoot Neopan 400, I like grain and contrast - I print 5"x7" on grade 4.

I shot a test roll of APX25 a few months back on a sunny afternoon walking down a local country lane and developed it in HC-110 for whatever time the massive dev chart recommended. The film is functionally fine, but for me, quite boring.

I found it difficult to print with much contrast, there's practically no grain at all at 5x7 and without a tripod DoF becomes an issue.

What does this film excel at?
    The issue with the film, it's not wasted on you, it's whether you want to invest time learning a film where you can't get more of it when you run out, because it's no longer being made. Personally I would sell it and use the proceeds to buy another film that is still being made, so that I can get more, when I run out.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    When I used that film, which was 20some years ago before they discontinued it in 4x5, I would process it in Rodinal 1-100 and get just amazing mid tones. To use it you have to be open to seeing different results from your work.

That said, I just put a brick of 120 Panatomic X on ebay because I figure I can replace it with triple the quantity of some other film that is more to my liking.
    Dennis

Shooter
    35mm
    I just saw that Panatomic X auction. That's some serious money!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin