Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,515   Online: 775

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Removing unwanted Pyro stains from sinks, etc.

I have a few pretty nasty WD2D stains on a darkroom wall that I've been trying to get off for quite a while now. I tried an acid (lemon juice) thinking that may be part of the problem. Tried bleach, nope...Trying alcohol started removing the paint...aghh

I've seen some mixes via the Google but they require stuff that isn't easily available...is there something commercially available that'll remove pyro stains from a darkroom wall (painted, plaster and wood).

Thanks!

A good stain-blocking primer and a new coat of paint?

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Tilex. It's an absolute miracle product for removal of either pyro or amidol stains. The stains will dissolve before your eyes before you even wipe them. I don't know about any deleterious effects on wood or plaster, but it will certainly remove the stains.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    Tilex. It's an absolute miracle product for removal of either pyro or amidol stains. The stains will dissolve before your eyes before you even wipe them. I don't know about any deleterious effects on wood or plaster, but it will certainly remove the stains.
    Although Peter was funny, the pyro guy (ha ha, nice one) deserves the thanks. That's great. Off to get Tilex!

P.S. Do we know what's in Tilex that works? Chlorox bathroom/kitchen cleaner stuff doesn't do a damn thing. Lye?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite.
    Ok well the Tilex didn't work (at all)- anyone else have any ideas?

We're talking Pyro Metol Sodium Carbonite here.

There are several Tilex variants..Which one apparently works? I can say for sure that the "shower" Tilex does not work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    soap scum remover...not the shower mist

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If the stain were on clothing I'd recommend an oxygen laundry soaker. Is "Napi-san" a brand in your country?

On a wall, I'd try hydrogen peroxide, which is a bleach that would work similarly to Napi-san.
    Let us know if you try it.

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    If the stain were on clothing I'd recommend an oxygen laundry soaker. Is "Napi-san" a brand in your country?
    No, but "HI, BILLY MAYS HERE WITH OXICLEAN" is.

Images
    IIRC, I looked at the contents of Tilex once upon a time and made a Tilex Expedient out of washing soda and Chlorox. It cleaned the bathroom tile, but I didn't try it on any darkroom stains. Chlorox will remove nearly any stain from film base, but that's because it removes the emulsion.
    Gadget Gainer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin