Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,877   Posts: 1,520,263   Online: 1153

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Developing film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, you crack me up sometimes... Don't be shy. What did ye olde labbe ratze tell you?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Leighgion View Post
    You load them in the dark, but then you can do all your chemical changing in the light.
    So, it's right to pour the developer, rinse/stop bath and put in the fixer in daylight? Water lets light to enter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
    So, it's right to pour the developer, rinse/stop bath and put in the fixer in daylight? Water lets light to enter.
    Yes. The top of the tank has a light trap so even though you take the cover off to pour the solutions in and out, the light doesn't enter.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Prest 400
    Here on this page is a cut away:
    Daylight tank

If you look you'll see a funnel in a tube, that tube mean you can take the lid off to pour out/pour in solutions.
    Mark

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Antony View Post
    Prest 400
    Here on this page is a cut away:
    Daylight tank

If you look you'll see a funnel in a tube, that tube mean you can take the lid off to pour out/pour in solutions.
    Mark
    Okay, now I do understand the system.
    The top cap can be removed for pouring water and all the chemistry, but there is a second cap that needs to be opened for access the reel compartment, and it's what keeps film safe.
    Thanks for the info, Steve and Mark.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    All I can say about white light on the film before it is in the fix is that ye olde labb ratz who taught me darkroom told me it is never done; and in words that are not suitable for this public forum.
    Never say never. There are those who do it deliberately to play with solarization effects. My impression this is more commonly done with prints than with negatives, though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    Never say never. There are those who do it deliberately to play with solarization effects. My impression this is more commonly done with prints than with negatives, though.
    No reason why you couldn't do it with negs, but it would be an all or nothing deal. At least with prints, if you bork it , you chuck the paper, and fire up the enlarger for another go. You still have the original neg
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As it happens I removed a pair of Tri-X films from the tank after developing and stopping, but before fixing, last night.

This wasn't a deliberate thing, I am just an idiot ^_^

In the gloom of my darkroom I picked up the wrong bottle and 'fixed' the films in stop bath for 4 mins, then rinsed in water for about 15.
    I opened the tank, lifted out the reels, wondered for about 2 seconds why they looked opaque before the penny dropped and... OH S*T!!!

I chucked half a litre of fixer on them and clamped the lid back on.

Result? well... comparing them to the Tri-X films I developed just a little earlier... hmmm, maybe just a fraction more base fog? Slightly? Or am I imagining it? Well, whatever the effect, it is tiny if it is there at all, but it was only a 5 second exposure in subdued light after a damn good stop bath!
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sum of all matters - don't open the tank until after you fix... No matter how good your stop bath is I think you'll find that in varying lighting conditions, the severity of the fog will be varying also, and why take any chances? The main question is - why would you want to do this anyway?

(For the record - I do know about BTZS tubes and how the cap comes off at the end of the developer bath).
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    Result? well... comparing them to the Tri-X films I developed just a little earlier... hmmm, maybe just a fraction more base fog? Slightly? Or am I imagining it? Well, whatever the effect, it is tiny if it is there at all, but it was only a 5 second exposure in subdued light after a damn good stop bath!
    I think you're imagining it. We see what we want to see, not always what's really there. The proof, of course, is to print them and see if there really is any difference. There are many factors contributing to base fog. It can vary with the type of developer, the length of development time, and even the batch number of the film. To say without a doubt that exposure to light after the stop bath contributed to overall fog levels is impossible at this point.
    Frank Schifano

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin