Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,152   Online: 891

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Identifying uknown film before shooting.

I obtained some self rolled (from bulk film) rolls and the film inside is uknown to me. Im thinking of cutting a small piece off and developing just that to find out the brand. How should I go about this? I really don't want to go through a whole process just for one two inch piece of film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Clip testing is about the best you can do really. If the film is totally unknown i.e you don't know if its colour or mono you can cut a little piece off and look at it. If it is greyish its probably traditional mono if it looks brown its normally colour.
    Your best bet is to do a clip test though, develop normally in your favourite developer and assume it is medium speed say HP5/Tri-x 6cm should be enough make sure you do this in darkness or after you put it in your bulk loader.
    Mark

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just cut 1 inch strips off the start of each of the 11 rolls and jammed them into a film canister together. Used D-76 for 3 mins and could see that they are all Hp5+

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cool, HP5 is a wonderful film – 11 bulk rolls? wow that should be enough for a good few projects.
    Happy shooting
    Regards
    Mark

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin