Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,662   Posts: 1,623,936   Online: 794

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think Better Sense is referring to the idea of buying it cheap...at $1 per pound.

I too have enquired about Sodium Sulfite and Sodium Thiosulfate at several local pool supply stores only to be shunned or given the "What the hell are you talking about look".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Formulary sells in bulk as well. But then who needs 50 # of Na2SO3? In fact, I don't even use HCA. It is really only needed if you are short on water and we have a lot of that hereabouts.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Be careful with chemicals from pool supply stores. Some of them have suspended solids in them which are harmful to photographic films and papers. Suspended solids can become trapped in the emulsion and cause defects. In addition, old sulfite turns into sulfate which slows down the washing process.

Make sure you use good stuff.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The Formulary sells in bulk as well. But then who needs 50 # of Na2SO3? In fact, I don't even use HCA. It is really only needed if you are short on water and we have a lot of that hereabouts.

PE
    I love formualry and Art Craft Chems andespecially Freestyle...but, would really like to find Sulfite, for less than about $1.50 per pound. I easily use 3 pounds in a year. So, 50 pounds is a lot more than I need, it doesn't sound like an outrageous quantity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brad;

I have never used a wash aid of any sort in my entire life, nor has any lab I have worked in or with. We used a good wash with tap water to accomplish our goal of a well washed print. I mix developers quite often for experiments or design, and still get by with less than 2 # per year of sulfite. I used to buy Kodak Sulfite at RIT, right off the shelf. Now I get it from the Formulary as RIT is mostly digital.

Bud gets it in huge bags, probably 100#. I never even paid attention to it, but they say on their web page and in the catalog that they sell in bulk and to ask for quotes. I know they sell in bulk. I have seen huge shipments go out the door. They sell many things to Freestyle, AAMOF, and maybe sulfite is one of them. IDK.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    This is where I buy my Sodium Sulfite, etc.

http://www.chemistrystore.com/Chemic...m_Sulfite.html

Cheers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Brad;

I have never used a wash aid of any sort in my entire life, nor has any lab I have worked in or with. We used a good wash with tap water to accomplish our goal of a well washed print. I mix developers quite often for experiments or design, and still get by with less than 2 # per year of sulfite. I used to buy Kodak Sulfite at RIT, right off the shelf. Now I get it from the Formulary as RIT is mostly digital.

Bud gets it in huge bags, probably 100#. I never even paid attention to it, but they say on their web page and in the catalog that they sell in bulk and to ask for quotes. I know they sell in bulk. I have seen huge shipments go out the door. They sell many things to Freestyle, AAMOF, and maybe sulfite is one of them. IDK.

PE
    Thanks PE. I use pre-packaged Kodak HCA for my films. That's how I was taught way back in the summer of 1975. It has always worked for me so, I am happy to stay with it.

I do however, use 80~100 grams of sulfite almost every time I mix up a a liter of film developer. It adds up after a while. I really don't want / need a big bag but, what I really need is to get the (shipped) cost down to around $1.50 per pound or less. When the cost of sulfite is higher than this it no longer makes any economic sense to mix your own D-76. The prepackaged stuff (in 1 gallon size) is more economical.
    Last edited by BradS; 06-22-2009 at 12:26 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: $1.50 not $150 !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In fact, I don't even use HCA. It is really only needed if you are short on water and we have a lot of that hereabouts.

PE
    PE

I am certainly not one to argue with anything you say, and although the above statement is therefore most certainly correct, I feel that I should say that for someone like myself who tones most, if not all of his/her prints, a HCA is an invaluable tool as it cuts down the length of wash before your print enters the bleach. Anyone who slips a print in to the bleach that has even a small amount of fix left in it is heading for problems during his/her toning routine, and I speak from experience here.

If you do choose to skip a HCA bath, then wash your print for no less than one hour!

Also I have found that an HCA bath also has an effect on the tone you get from sepia toners.

Stoo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stoo;

I tone! That said, I wash enough to prevent problems. And, I'm happy with the tones I get and I know how to play with the toners to "adjust" them to my taste. I also like to dual tone or split tone prints in both sepia and blue toners. So, if we are both happy, who cares?

PE

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My basic shopping list for basic ingredients:

www.artcraftchemicals.com
    www.chemistrystore.com
    www.techcheminc.com
    http://www.digitaltruth.com/store/ca...-p-1-c-33.html
    www.bostick-sullivan.com
    www.photoformulary.com

For best price on 50 lbs sulfite, The Chemistry Store usually seems about as good as it gets. As I glanced right now, they have sulfite at $ 52.50 / 50lb bag. That's $1.05 a lb. Pretty close to the stated goal of $1.00 a lb.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin