Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,438   Online: 827

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Stoo;

So, if we are both happy, who cares?

PE

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I happen to have a local Chemistry store. Well, about 30 minutes at least. I can run through a bag that size in a year, so I get it from them. They are a water processing supply kind of place for the water treatment plants.

Really you need to find one locally. The shipping would kill the price.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't see clarification of what kind of fixer in any of these posts. I seem to remember that if you use TF4 for prints and films (which I do), you really don't need any wash aid.
    True?
    And..if you use TF4 with typical fiber paper (eg. Ilf MG VI) with no wash aid, what would be a good wash time in a gravity works type of washer using about 1/2 to 1 gal/minute after filling?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Collier View Post
    I didn't see clarification of what kind of fixer in any of these posts.
    Actually, thats a very good point george. I should have said that I am a user of Ilford Hypam. From what I am led to believe, I am sure that you are right that if you use an alkali fix, the necessity to use an HCA is somewhat eliminated.

I am afraid that I can't answer the other part of your question.

Cheers

Stoo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Be careful with chemicals from pool supply stores. Some of them have suspended solids in them which are harmful to photographic films and papers. Suspended solids can become trapped in the emulsion and cause defects. In addition, old sulfite turns into sulfate which slows down the washing process.

Make sure you use good stuff.

PE
    One chemical I bought in bulk had on the label "83% pure" and about half the remainder was "insoluble". It wasn't a photo chemical, but remember that many of the chemicals we use have many non-phoographic uses, and purity isn't important to some of them.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    George, IIRC, using a HC with TF4 will increase recommended wash times for FB papers and wash times over 45 minutes seem excessive to me.

Right now I'm using Ilford Rapid Fix with double thick FB papers and Ilford recommends a 5 minute water bath after 1 minute of fixing, 5 minutes in HC and after Selenium toning, 30 minutes wash time. I am using either dishpan basins of standing tap water for washing or very little water flow with a single basin, depending on what I'm doing. Keeping prints separated seems to be more important than volume or water flow, at least that's the doctrine I'm using now.

Is anyone else here using similar methods?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ........... It is really only needed if you are short on water and we have a lot of that hereabouts.

PE
    You are very lucky! May your good fortune continue into the age of global warming!

Where I am, saving 50% of washing water is sensible. In fact, with our strict water restrictions, I'm sure that if more people did photo processing at home it would come under strict regulations (like various activities like car washing, etc.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    You are very lucky! May your good fortune continue into the age of global warming!

Where I am, saving 50% of washing water is sensible. In fact, with our strict water restrictions, I'm sure that if more people did photo processing at home it would come under strict regulations (like various activities like car washing, etc.)
    I have compounded a fix for just this sort of problem. It takes a lot less wash water to complete the wash cycle.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One chemical I bought in bulk had on the label "83% pure" and about half the remainder was "insoluble". It wasn't a photo chemical, but remember that many of the chemicals we use have many non-phoographic uses, and purity isn't important to some of them.
    The insoluable material can become trapped in your swollen wet gelatin and then when it dries it will leave imperfections in the image. This is very bad when the insoluable matter forms a colloid that cannot be filtered out and very bad for small format negatives.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format

Likewise here in California. Water is a very precious resource and we cannot afford to waste it. I have not washed my car, for example, in probably a year or more.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin