Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,930   Online: 822

Shooter
    35mm

Does paper have grain?

I've heard that developing negatives in Dektol produces extremely grainy images. If that's the case, why isn't paper grainy? Come to think of it, is paper grainy at all? Are there differences in grain between papers? I've never heard paper granularity even mentioned before.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes, paper has grain not unlike film but usually somewhat coarser. The fact is that with the unaided eye it usually can't be resolved even when the print is viewed up close. Sometimes in print highlight areas one can detect grain but it's easy to confuse print grain with film grain if enlargement is involved.

Nate Potter, Washington DC.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, paper has grain, but we generally cannot see it because it is at a given viewing distance and the grain is therefore below the resolving power of the eye.

Get up close and you might see it with a loupe, but you can confuse it with the film grain.

Usually, paper grain is much finer than film grain, on the order of 0.2 microns vs 1.0 microns - 10 microns for a film grain.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hence the lower speed of paper versus film, Photo Engineer ?

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, paper picks up 1 - 2 stops from the reflective background of Baryta or Titanox and therefore I can shoot Ilford MGIV at ISO 25 in-camera, but it is really about 6 if coated on film.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was thinking to myself when the question was asked - how else would the image in the paper be made up, if there wasn't grain? But I didn't know the theory behind it, so I appreciate the expertise. I learned something new today.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The texture of the paper is far, far coarser than the grain of the emulsion, no?
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    The texture of the paper is far, far coarser than the grain of the emulsion, no?
    Yes.

The Baryta or Titanox helps mask this problem. I have posted examples of this effect as has David Goldfarb.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With Lith Printing you see how the grain of the paper reacts. In the black, very large, or in the highlights, very small and smooth.
    G.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin