Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,854   Online: 1042

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    OEPS !

The backing paper of your film is not opaque enough !
    This has nothing to do with your deveoping times.

Keep your red window closed as much as you can with this fim is my advice and otherwise use a diferent film.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep, cover the red window with black gaffer's tape. Pull the tape back only when advancing the film, best done inside or in the shade. Then you will be alright.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've had the same experience shooting Efke 100 in 127 format. With the Efke material its a known weakness, and I'm assuming that Maco uses the same paper, which to be frank (as you've discovered) is crap.
    I've yet to develop a roll of Adox material so can't comment on that manufacturers products

I'd shoot Kodak, Ilford or Fuji materials instead. I've used them in loads of red window roll film cameras (Zeiss Ikon, Brownie, Ensign Ful-vu, Ilford Sportsman, Lubitel 166B, etc etc etc etc) and not had a single problem.

Certainly for the cheap box cameras I've found that Fuji Acros 100 is a very good film, as it seems to have more latitude, or at least will handle severe overexposure (in the case of a shutter misfire) more gracefully than some of the others I've used.
    What you choose, eventually, comes down to availability, price and preference
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
    I've had the same experience shooting Efke 100 in 127 format. With the Efke material its a known weakness, and I'm assuming that Maco uses the same paper, which to be frank (as you've discovered) is crap.
    I've yet to develop a roll of Adox material so can't comment on that manufacturers products
    The Adox CHS films are the Efke emulsions, of course, but maybe they use different backing paper. I've shot a fair amount of CHS 25, and a little bit of Efke 25 and ORT 25, in red-window folders, some of it in very bright, sunny conditions---never had a problem like this. Maybe it's only certain batches, or maybe I've just been lucky.

I have a whole bunch (~60 rolls) of antiquated Gevaert Dandi Pan, bought for a song on eBay, all unusable due to print-through from the backing paper. It's too bad, as I've been told this was a pretty good film and I was looking forward to playing with it, but at least I got a nifty box and a bunch of metal 120 spools.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks guys, will keep the window closed when I use this film. I have 8 rolls of it left and I won't get any more. I don't particularly like it anyway. Rollei Retro 100 is much better (but curls like crazy in roll film) and Neopan 400 is much nicer as well. Neither of those give me any of this trouble.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe this a consumer aid to help identify negatives when printing. Sure not going to have any trouble picking which negative matches which print.

It also will help you keep the interesting part of the picture from always being in the center of the frame, I'm sure you'll learn to shoot around the number.

Mike

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
    I've had the same experience shooting Efke 100 in 127 format. With the Efke material its a known weakness, and I'm assuming that Maco uses the same paper, which to be frank (as you've discovered) is crap......
    I have had the same experience with this film/backing paper. I only saw it on one frame/number. The others were masked by the images. However, it just did not add up to the red window. I spent a long time winding and re-winding the developed film on the paper to determine what had happened. It turned out that the last section of film, which I had not exposed, and had no image showed the number "12" if I recall correctly (it was a few years ago). I determined that it could not be physically possible for the light to have done this, since the window had been covered and by the placement of the film did not allow for it to be light exposure. The number was transferred where the ink contacted the film while it was rolled up. It must have been chemical, something in the ink.

The film may have been a bit out of date, or had a freeze/thaw history. I do not recall.

I know that Ilford refuses to print numbers that are easily visible through many "red" windows, presumably to avoid this problem. I am not saying that light could not be the cause in other situations, it just was not in this one.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    35mm
    I have to admit, however, that resulting picture looks very cool with that number in the middle. I definitely like it there. Looks like it was placed there with intention. Will pass for artistic effect, seriously.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    Maybe this a consumer aid to help identify negatives when printing. Sure not going to have any trouble picking which negative matches which print.

It also will help you keep the interesting part of the picture from always being in the center of the frame, I'm sure you'll learn to shoot around the number.

Mike
    RAOFLMAO!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
    I have to admit, however, that resulting picture looks very cool with that number in the middle. I definitely like it there. Looks like it was placed there with intention. Will pass for artistic effect, seriously.
    You're making me think... Maybe I should find a series of photos where the numbers center frame would actually gain a meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post

Mike
    You could still confuse the 6 and the 9 if you photograph a brick wall though.

Anyway, I have figured out what it is: It's an early version of the quartz date feature!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin