Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,009   Online: 1071

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Frame numbers from paper back of rollfim show up on negatives

Can anyone tell me how the frame numbers from the back of the paper on a roll film end up on a negative? They have the exact shape of the red safety window so obviously the film was exposed through a red safety window AND the backing paper. I just don't understand how this can happen. I have shot other films with the same camera that showed no problem so it can't be the camera.

The camera is a Zeiss Ikon Nettar and the film is Macophot UP 100 plus (epired 2008) rollfilm developed in rodinal 1:100 for 47 minutes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would keep the window closed except when winding film. I have the same camera and had this happen to one frame when I forgot.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It must be Maco's backing paper, I have no problem with my 6x17 camera and that has no red safety filter at all. That's with Ilford, Kodak, Fuji & Foma films.

Welcome to APUG BTW

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Likewise to Ian No problems with my Agfa Isolette 1 which does rely on a red window but with a metal slide as well athough I confess to foregetting to always slide it into position after winding on. This have been with both colour and B&W but only Fuji and Ilford films.

If Maco is the problem and it's stuff you like then I'd try covering the window with black tape and only peeling it back for winding which I'd try and do in the shade.

Of colurse it may not be Maco film. Red windows may eventually become unsafe or less safe as do darkroom safelights. I'd be unhappy leaving my window "open" in bright penetrating direct sunlight.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I once had this happen to me with Agfa film, old expired APX25, which had the imprint of the text on the paper backing all over it. I'm convinced that was a chemical reaction to the dye used to make the imprint.
    Your problem seems to be related to the red window. I used to have a camera just like it, and an Agfa Defender folder as well. Both had red windows, the Ikon had the sliding door. Like the others I have never had problems with Kodak film getting exposed through the backing paper, even if I left the sliding door open.
    I like pentax' suggestion. Use some Gaffer's tape and cover up the window, and only uncover the window when you wind the film. Put your back up against the sun when you wind the film and then tape it up again. Try different film also if this doesn't help.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I once had this happen to me with Agfa film, old expired APX25, which had the imprint of the text on the paper backing all over it. I'm convinced that was a chemical reaction to the dye used to make the imprint.
    I'm sure you're correct....I've had a similar problem with some (very) old Ilford film, stored under poor conditions. I think someone here (could have been Simon Galley, apologies if I'm wrong?) said that the correct ink and density of the printing on roll-film backing are quite critical to avoid print-through but still give numbering contrasty enough to show thru the red window.

And direct sunlight over a length of time is certainly remarkably penetrating, even through visually opaque materials.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the welcome and the fast replies! The window on my nettar also has a protective metal cover and I am sure I closed it at least part of the time. I guess there must indeed be something wrong with the backing paper because I shot a roll of neopan 400 on it the day before.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maybe Macos backing paper isn't opaque enough?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How much fog was there in the rest of the negatives (if any)?

I ask, because the effect could be cumulative. If the film was otherwise partially fogged due to exposure to low levels of light, the additional exposure through the window and the backing paper might have been enough to cause the image to go from invisible to visible.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    How much fog was there in the rest of the negatives (if any)?

I ask, because the effect could be cumulative. If the film was otherwise partially fogged due to exposure to low levels of light, the additional exposure through the window and the backing paper might have been enough to cause the image to go from invisible to visible.

Matt
    Can't find any fogging. The negs look fine to me (except for some shadow detail loss, will try a shorter development time on this film next time). The seriousness of the problem varies. I guess I will have to wind this film with the frame counter window closed by calculating the amount of turns I need on the winding knob. Here is one of the worst examples:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin