Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,333   Online: 1025

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    This might be the right thread for this one, the latest KRST, supplied in the last week or 2 through the Kodak chain, has a distinct straw colour to it, whereas for aeons it has been totally colourless. Has anybody used it yet and found any detectable difference? Maybe it's just a different batch of one of the components.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I noticed it too at my local dealer, and was wondering about it at the time, but forgot to bring it up. I'm curious too.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
    This might be the right thread for this one, the latest KRST, supplied in the last week or 2 through the Kodak chain, has a distinct straw colour to it, whereas for aeons it has been totally colourless. Has anybody used it yet and found any detectable difference? Maybe it's just a different batch of one of the components.
    Hi Martin
    Have left a message with Kodak last week to get someone technical to call but no one is rushing to ring back! Will try and do a comparitive test with 'clear' selenium soon.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Test Results

Have now done some tests on ‘old-clear’ and ‘new-yellowish’ Selenium using Fomatone and Ilford Multigrade.

Fomatone; Toned 1+10 at 1, 2 and 3 minutes.
    The new toner definitely appeared more active. At 1 minute, both were similar though the new was a touch warmer. 2 minutes and the new was noticeably different with the midtones taking on a bit more warmth. 3 minutes and both prints had taken on a strong red selenium tone though again the new is a little bit stronger. Not too much to worry about as if I am toning for a stronger colour, I would be testing each time anyway.

Ilford Multigrade; Toned 1+20 at 1, 3 and 5 minutes.
    In general the differences are not so noticeable on Ilford with a weaker dilution. (As one would expect.) I tend to tone this paper at 1+20 for 3 minutes as a standard to give a cooler tone, stronger blacks and for added archival qualities so this is what I was really interested in. I’ll have to see them dry to totally decide, but there is really very little difference with the weaker dilution so am not too worried now about the colour of the toner.

While the tests were timed quite precisely at 20 degrees, it should be mentioned that the older ‘clear’ bottle had been first opened about a month ago so I don’t know if that would change it at all. However, it would be nice to know why it has changed. Over to you Kodak.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin