Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,861   Online: 1088

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favourite film is Plus X - which works very well with HC110.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello wogster.

I don't use HC110, but here's some interesting information: Ilfotec HC is more or less the same as Kodak's HC110. By having a look at the datasheets you can have some developing times as a starting point. In any case, you'll need to fine tune your process, but at least you have a basis on which you can build with your own experiments. The datasheet for HC110 is here. Have a look at page 4 and you'll see that the recommended dev time for TMax100 (dil b) is 7 minutes. Now at Ilfotec HC's datasheet (page 7) the recommended time for the same film is 7:30. The 7% difference is probably because Kodak suggests a slightly lower contrast index, compared to Ilford. I don't know for sure, but I think Ilford's times are for CI=0,62, a tad high for my taste. So, these two pdfs combined should give you information for 6 Tgrain films TMax/Delta(100, 400, 3200). Enough for everyone I suppose.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    Hello wogster.

I don't use HC110, but here's some interesting information: Ilfotec HC is more or less the same as Kodak's HC110. By having a look at the datasheets you can have some developing times as a starting point. In any case, you'll need to fine tune your process, but at least you have a basis on which you can build with your own experiments. The datasheet for HC110 is here. Have a look at page 4 and you'll see that the recommended dev time for TMax100 (dil b) is 7 minutes. Now at Ilfotec HC's datasheet (page 7) the recommended time for the same film is 7:30. The 7% difference is probably because Kodak suggests a slightly lower contrast index, compared to Ilford. I don't know for sure, but I think Ilford's times are for CI=0,62, a tad high for my taste. So, these two pdfs combined should give you information for 6 Tgrain films TMax/Delta(100, 400, 3200). Enough for everyone I suppose.
    Good point,

Here is the plan, I know FP4 well and HP5 reasonably well, so processing a roll of each becomes a frame of reference, for the developer. I will then try the others at box speed with recommended times. To see which one (or ones) I like best, thus establishing a base line. Then fine tune from there, I will try something, then compare to the base line, if it's good then I can push a little further, if it's not, I have somewhere to go back to, keeping notes on every roll using masking tape and then pen on the negative sheet.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm
    Just an update, my usual source seems to be out of HC110 at the moment, in fact it's now a special order item, not something I wanted to hear . I wonder if Darkroom Central will accept mail order, as I am one of the 6 people on the planet who does not have a credit card or paypal.....
    Paul Schmidt

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    Just an update, my usual source seems to be out of HC110 at the moment, in fact it's now a special order item, not something I wanted to hear . I wonder if Darkroom Central will accept mail order, as I am one of the 6 people on the planet who does not have a credit card or paypal.....
    Most folks will shp C.O.D, but you have to pay the extra cost. Plus, you have to pay UPS when the item gets there or leave a check for them, not something everyone can/wants to do.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    Most folks will shp C.O.D, but you have to pay the extra cost. Plus, you have to pay UPS when the item gets there or leave a check for them, not something everyone can/wants to do.
    I don't think I ever ordered anything C.O.D. It's very expensive to do that. Not sure that any of the couriers do it anymore either....

Apparently Darkroom Central will accept an order by email, and will then send an invoice, not sure if they ship the items before the cheque clears or not. Doesn't really matter to me, if the lead time is three days or three weeks right now. I just need to know that I have a supplier, who is in Canada, that isn't going to simply quit selling analogue supplies completely. Which my old supplier seems to be slowly doing, am I annoyed, you bet. I will not name the store as I don't know if that raises the ire of the moderators or not.

If I know it takes three weeks, then I will simply order more when my inventory is low rather then empty. Thing is, and this is bad for the local store, if I am ordering chemistries and need some film, I'll order that as well, since the additional shipping costs are almost nothing.
    Paul Schmidt

Shooter
    35mm
    Last time I needed HC-110, Henry's in Kanata got it in for me in a week from Toronto. You may have to find one of the "experienced" staff to find one who knows what HC-110 is. Their web code is 411KOD004 if you need it for them to find on their computer. I am sure that Vistek could also get it for you, their web site shows it in stock in their Toronto store and out of stock everywhere else.

The site shows it as a two Gallon size, but it is actually 16US Fl OZ of concentrate. expect to pay 15-17 dollars CDN

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    Last time I needed HC-110, Henry's in Kanata got it in for me in a week from Toronto. You may have to find one of the "experienced" staff to find one who knows what HC-110 is. Their web code is 411KOD004 if you need it for them to find on their computer. I am sure that Vistek could also get it for you, their web site shows it in stock in their Toronto store and out of stock everywhere else.

The site shows it as a two Gallon size, but it is actually 16US Fl OZ of concentrate. expect to pay 15-17 dollars CDN
    Yeah, Henry's Thornhill, tells me it a special order item now, the main store on Church St, doesn't show as having it. I am kinda wondering if Henry's wants to get out of photography all together, and just sell digital sh...tuff. I don't know, maybe if a few people order it, they will start stocking it again. I may head over and see how long it takes. I wonder, did you have to pay up front?

They have Blazinal in stock, I may try that instead....
    Paul Schmidt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's the way I see it. HC-110, or Ilford's Ilfotec-HC if you prefer, is ok with any of the films you mention. It is not my favorite for tank development of small and medium format films. Development times for "Dilution B," the only dilution ration for which there is, IMO, extensive and reliable data, tend to be rather short and difficult to control. Add to that the fact that D-76 delivers slightly better speed and finer grain, and you can understand why I don't like it that much. For large format sheet films developed in trays though, it's really good. The short development times are welcomed and the little extra grain doesn't matter. The slight speed loss doesn't matter either because I'm not usually out to grab every last bit of speed I can from that format.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    Here's the way I see it. HC-110, or Ilford's Ilfotec-HC if you prefer, is ok with any of the films you mention. It is not my favorite for tank development of small and medium format films. Development times for "Dilution B," the only dilution ration for which there is, IMO, extensive and reliable data, tend to be rather short and difficult to control. Add to that the fact that D-76 delivers slightly better speed and finer grain, and you can understand why I don't like it that much. For large format sheet films developed in trays though, it's really good. The short development times are welcomed and the little extra grain doesn't matter. The slight speed loss doesn't matter either because I'm not usually out to grab every last bit of speed I can from that format.
    Yes, I actually would prefer ID11/D76, except these days I have pretty low volume, maybe a couple of 35mm rolls a month, so I don't want to be throwing away developer that has gone south every few rolls. HC110/Ilfotech HC and Rodinal are the ones that last a long time, The dealer is out, but has Rodinal so I may go with that instead.
    Paul Schmidt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin