Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,967   Online: 1193

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Which films with...

Okay folks dawn your flame retardant suits.....

I am about to pick up some HC110 (either today or tomorrow), of the following films, are there any you would NOT recommend to use with it:

Ilford FP4, Ilford Delta 100, Kodak Tmax 100, Ilford HP5, Ilford Delta 400, Kodak Tmax 400.

If you think one of them should NOT be used with HC110, could you please provide a reason.

Thanks
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I can speak for the TMX and TMY. HC110 yields great results for me at Dil B for six minutes. Thirty seconds constant but gentle agitation and two inversions every 30 second afterwards. Processed at 68F 20C. Great contrast for the fineness of grain in those films.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Oh, and that's for 135 and 120 rolls films.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm a firm believer that if you work long and hard enough with a combination of film and developer you can reach good results with any two paired together, unless it's a task specific developer, such as lith developer, etc. You know what I mean.

The rest is a matter of taste.

Curious question - why all those films?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As far as I know HC110 will work with any of the mention films.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've only used it with HP-5 and TX, but had good results. Thomas has a great point, you really can achieve the results you after with almost any combo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The biggest problem with this sort of enquiry is that your range of films is so wide that fine tuning your development could end up being a long and potentially confusing process.

For example, an adjustment that works for FP4 might worsen the results from TMax 400.

I've only used it with the Kodak films on your list, but am happy to confirm that HC110 works well with them.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Should work well with all of the above films and really any monochrome film if you take the time to experiment a little and fine tune. My preference is for Dilution H and minimal agitation. Good luck and enjoy using HC-110.

John.

What you might find is that for some films is that development times for the popular Dilution B might become very short (5 minutes or less).

I would suggest trying dilution H over Dilution B. (I believe H is dil. B 1:1 with water, but verify before doing, please.) Great stuff, I used it for years before I became a pyro addict.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The biggest problem with this sort of enquiry is that your range of films is so wide that fine tuning your development could end up being a long and potentially confusing process.

For example, an adjustment that works for FP4 might worsen the results from TMax 400.

I've only used it with the Kodak films on your list, but am happy to confirm that HC110 works well with them.

Matt
    Which is why I worded it the way I did. What I was looking for is things like it does horrible grain with this film, or really knocks the stuffing out of the tonality with that film.

Here is the reasoning, I have used almost exclusively FP4 and HP5 with a little PanF for B&W for a donkeys age. Tried a roll of XP2 and was not impressed.

I want to try the cubic grain films, so I figure I'll run a roll of FP4 and HP5 to see what the developer is like with films I know, then I'll buy a couple of rolls of each of the others, use them, process them, and see which ones I like.

Now comes part 2 of my question:

Are there any other cubic grain films I should add to my list. Not sure what Fuji has available in cubic grain films. I use only 35mm at the moment, I limit my films to those I can get here in Canada, so films that are only available in the US or Europe or Asia are of no use to me, I don't use enough film to warrant the hassle of dealing with customs and exchange.....
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin