Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,730   Online: 895

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Konica IR substitute?

I've been keeping a few rolls in the fridge. We've had glorious hot sunshine this last week, so I dug a roll out.

Alas... the results were not good. Very foggy. I think it is just too old

I know there are a few IR films about, still. Rollei, Efke and so on.

Are any of them close to Konica? It was the only one I really liked, being so very fine grain. I never liked the Kodak stuff and anyway I want 120 rollfilm. Ilford SFX is not quite IR enough and a bit too grainy...

The ultimate for me might be if Ilford did an SFX version of Pan F or Delta 100 (I know, I know, but we can dream, can't we? )

The EFKE seems like a Kodak thing - but what about the Rollei IR400 - have any Konica users tried it? Is it aywhere near? I'm suspicious of the 400 ISO speed and the comment about 'halation effects' in the sales pitch.

Trouble is they are all a bit too pricey to just buy half a dozen rolls to try on the off-chance...
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can only speak of the SFX; it's not grainy in 120! Efke and Rollei, I think, are closer to IR than the SFX, but the SFX is very easy to use, can be processed in just about anything, has a longer shelf life because it's not a true IR film (?), and should be readily available in jolly old England.

Try a couple of rolls?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Steve,

Unfortunately, you have limited options. You've already ruled out SFX and Efke so it seems to me that you have to try the Rollei if you want to continue shooting IR. If granularity is really the biggest issue, why not try Efke IR820 in sheet film sizes?

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Rollei IR 400 would be the closest to the Konica film in my opinion. Rollei Superpan 200 would also be worth a try. I don't know where you have priced the films but www.macodirect.de are very reasonable.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I believe that Maco had made some 750 IR film a while back called Maco 750 IR (it came out at the same time that the 820 IR film did). I have a few rolls of it left. I could never get a decent IR effect with the Konica, even with an IR filter.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    shame,your looking for 120 as i have some weird 35mm panchromatic estar film,12 asa very little grain ext red to 800nm.
    the stuff has no anti halation layer could be of interest.
    Last edited by alan doyle; 06-26-2009 at 09:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The most fine grain IR film availabke as types 135 and 120 is the Rollei Retro 80S.
    (Maco's conversion of a current Agfa aerial film.)
    The sensitivity is not that much reaching into the IR as the Konica, however the Agfa spectral sensitivity curve has a pronounced shoulder at the far red.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rollei Superpan 200 will be around iso 6 with the right IR filter 89B or 88A.
    Rollei IR820/400 will be iso 12 with above filters.

Both films are produced by Agfa Gevaert in Belgium.

Here are the data sheets:
    http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documentatie/Superpan.pdf
    http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documenta...lleiIR-400.pdf

and the developing table:
    http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documenta...ei%20films.pdf

and an example of the Rollei IR820/400 film with Heliopan RG715nm/88A filter:

Handheld shot 1/30S f=4
    For the Super Pan 200 film (lower iso) you will definately need a tripod.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nice shot, Robert! I shall have to dig out my Rollei IR 820/400 film. ISO 12 and you were able to hand hold it? Cool!
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1/30S is just on the edge for an Yashica Mat 124G. When using my Leica M7 you can do the same around 1/12S -1/15S shutter speed. Also this camera is nice for IR photography.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin