Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,617   Online: 879

Shooter
    Medium Format

Any change in Kodak Selenium Toner?

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has noticed a change in Kodak Selenium Toner. I bought a new bottle this week and undiluted it is a very pale yellow colour as opposed to to the normal clear. I haven't opened it or tested it yet and have left a message with Kodak in Hemel, but they haven't got back to me. I've got a very large job on which will be selenium toned, (1+20 for 3 mins), so need to buy in quite a few bottles but have done the initial tests for the client with 'normal clear' Kodak Selenium. Of course I should do some tests to find out, but as I've never seen Selenium with colour before, thought I would check to see if anyone else has noticed the change.

Thanks
    Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Have you tried checking with Martin Reed at Silverprint?

Martin

Sounds like it is old. Fresh selenium toner is clear.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Selenium Tests

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Sounds like it is old. Fresh selenium toner is clear.
    It's very fresh and came from Martin in the first place. As he has mentioned it on another thread, thought I should do some tests on Fomatone and Ilford Multigrade.

Fomatone; Toned 1+10 at 1, 2 and 3 minutes.
    The new toner definitely appeared more active. At 1 minute, both were similar though the new was a touch warmer. 2 minutes and the new was noticeably different with the midtones taking on a bit more warmth. 3 minutes and both prints had taken on a strong red selenium tone though again the new is a little bit stronger. Not too much to worry about as if I am toning for a stronger colour, I would be testing each time anyway.

Ilford Multigrade; Toned 1+20 at 1, 3 and 5 minutes.
    In general the differences are not so noticeable on Ilford with a weaker dilution. (As one would expect.) I tend to tone this paper at 1+20 for 3 minutes as a standard to give a cooler tone, stronger blacks and for added archival qualities so this is what I was really interested in. I’ll have to see them dry to totally decide, but there is really very little difference with the weaker dilution so am not too worried now about the colour of the toner.

While the tests were timed quite precisely at 20 degrees, it should be mentioned that the older ‘clear’ bottle had been first opened about a month ago so I don’t know if that would change it at all. However, it would be nice to know why it has changed. Over to you Kodak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a new bottle last month which I believe is new stock and it is definitely pale yellow. I haven't compared it to other Kodak Selenium, but I have used it side by side with Berg Selenium, which tends to a more red tone.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Crawford View Post
    Hi

I was wondering if anyone has noticed a change in Kodak Selenium Toner.
    Yes, it now comes in a uselessly enormous bottle

Seriously, it always tends to get yellow and even to stain the trays in yellow when it dries up (those stains are hard to clean, by the way). It's probably a bit old.
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin