Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,553   Online: 782

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Ilford Hypam/Ilford Rapid Fixer have been the only fixers I've used since the early 70's. Very economic if you use the 5 litre version, good capacity and keeps well.

Ian
    The same fixers that I use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, I clearly need to reexamine this subject, as I switched over from Ilford Rapid Fixer to TF-4 based on a set of impressions that appear all to be wrong! Thanks for alerting me to it...

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used TF-4 from the get-go. Terrific shelf-life and it works equally well for paper, pyro negs, and regular negs...
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

GJA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Formulary TF-4

The life is outstanding (six months once it is mixed, more if you dont mix it) Its fairly cheap and easy to use since its a liquid.

It smells a little but less if you use distilled water, and i keep the trays covered.

It is non-hardening, the same as most fixers that can be used for paper, but means that you need to check if your film has hardener built in. It is also supposedly non-reducing, although im not really sure since i have never run tests,or seen any to prove this. This means in theory it should leave your blacks a little blacker!

Finally, you can order direct from Formulary.
    Last edited by GJA; 06-28-2009 at 04:01 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Sorry, I just posted a two word answer before, I wanted to save the thread so i could come back and post a real answer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    sprint speed fixer.
    they are a site sponsor as well ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    I've used TF-4 from the get-go. Terrific shelf-life and it works equally well for paper, pyro negs, and regular negs...
    But then so does Hypam, and it has better capacity. Ilford are also a site sponsor

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 06-28-2009 at 12:54 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ilford Rapid all the way. I have been using it for years and have no complaints. I have thought of switching to TF-4 but after lookin at some of the numbers above, I'll stick with Ilford Rapid, + they have been a APUG sponsor for years and Simon's participation in the site is a huge selling feature to me.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use the Ilford Rapid because it's one of the few photographic wet chemistry products that I can buy in a store. When I need some I can go down to Penn Camera and pick up a bottle of concentrate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford Hypam, for both negs and prints. It's about $25 for a 5L bottle and that lasts a very good long time.
    And like c6h6o3 says - you can buy it in the store, which means I don't have to pay shipping for it.

It works really well with Pyro negs too if you wonder. No adverse effects to the stain at all.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

DAK

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Formulary TF-4

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin